We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June or July travel/weather

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
June or July travel/weather

I am looking to visit St Thomas this summer. Any opinions on June vs. July travel. Does one month have less rain than the other?

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June or July travel/weather

June and July is hurricane season (plus it's very hot). That's why we go in December.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June or July travel/weather

There is only a few degrees difference in the summer, although I find it to be a bit more humid if you are away from the ocean. The weather is fine either month unless a tropical storm stalls over the island. I actually enjoy the island as much if not more than in the winter as it is much less crowded but everytyhing is open.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June or July travel/weather

I've lived here for almost 30 years and don't recall any hurricane or even a tropical storm of any merit in either June or July. May and November tend to be historically wet but even that's based on maybe two to four days of miserable, cloudy and rainy weather. Crappy if it's right when you're visiting but that's not the norm.

The weather patterns have been changing so much in the last 10 years (as they have all over the world) so it's hard to make any predictions. Where temperature is concerned, the year-round temperature varies only a very few degrees. However, during the summer months the Trade Winds die down which makes the temperature feel greater. That said, I would take any allegedly "hot humid" day here over the many hot and humid days I spent in my 17 years in Connecticut where one could just stand and drip for a couple of summer months.

The closer you are to the water or the higher up you are to catch the winds you'll need A/C only at the height of the summer doldrums which are usually in September - but pretty much anywhere you stay will have A/C so no worries.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June or July travel/weather

Until this year, we had always gone in December - and loved it. But we just went in July - and aside from a bit more humidity than I recall in December, it was actually just as wonderful in July as it is in December - in fact, going in July allowed us to access and snorkel some of the places in Decembers past that had been avoidable because of the Christmas winds. Plus, there were much fewer people in July - so we hardly ever waited for table when we showed up,no reservations - group of 8.

As for July being Hurricane season - technically it is, but it's so early we decided to risk it. After much research we decided July wasn't any riskier than any other month - but I'm not brave enough to go anywhere in the Caribbean or coastal Florida for that matter in September.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Florida
Florida
United States
Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: June or July travel/weather

STTResident: "I've lived here for almost 30 years and don't recall any hurricane or even a tropical storm of any merit in either June or July."

I want to live in your dream world. . . On July 9, 1996 Hurricane BERTHA took the roofs off six homes on Water Island and placed a 54' sail boat smack on top of by boat dock crushing it to smithereens. May is generally a month of steady rain followed with every plant on island in full blossom, and so many mosquitos that you can't get away from them. The tradewinds begin to deminish in June and by the end of July the air is very still and while the temperature doesn't really change, without the tradewinds it just feels hot and sticky. Get a place with screens on all openings, and laundry facilities so that when you go through three changes of clothes you can wash and dry them for the next day. Other than those petty annoyances June and July can be the most beautiful and overall the best months to enjoy the VI.

Mentioned in this post
Water Island
Water Island
410 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June or July travel/weather

Forgetting one off-center hurricane in a couple of decades doesn't exactly put me in "dream world". Frankly, in July of '96 I was still recovering from Marilyn's devastation! Now you've reminded me, I do now recall that a friend of mine who's house was completely trashed in Marilyn had started to rebuild and Bertha blew away a couple of month's reconstruction efforts. He was not amused.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June or July travel/weather

We have gone in June and early November. In general we've been lucky with weather. The heat really doesn't bother me because we're usually in the water.

I do have to say that this past June we had something stall over us for a few days. We still swam and snorkeled.

You can't predict the weather, you just make the best of it.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June or July travel/weather

We've been to the islands at various times of the year for more than 30 years and we love June. Temperatures do not vary all that much from one season to the next and we've never found it to be too hot or humid. In June everything is in bloom, the water is very calm and warmer than the winter months, and the crowds are gone. It's really lovely.

9. Re: June or July travel/weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 10:17