We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone use?

Goffstown, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Cell phone use?

I have us cellular, any coverage there? what would be the easiest, less expensive way to have contact with us relatives?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone use?

Jo

I answer this on Bills List that I sent you. If you still have questions email me.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone use?

Our verizon cell works fine. The cheapest way to communicate is via internet. Bring your laptop, use your hotel's business center, or go to an internet cafe.

USA
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone use?

If you are on the sprint network you are covered, no additional costs

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone use?

I thought Verizon's coverage was not good on St Thomas? Does anyone have recent experience? We are staying at the Marriott Cove...if my husband can get service there, we really don't care as much about the rest of the island.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone use?

Gooslee, we were in STT this past June and Verizon kept dropping my calls. We were in a medical situation at home, so that was frustrating.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,469 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone use?

ATT is same as being in the US (no roaming, great coverage), Verizon was not good for friends.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone use?

Thanks connie and crmoores sounds like we're better off with a go-phone or calling card. Beyond calls, does anyone have experience with Verizon blackberries and getting email?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone use?

I would get a go phone and also bring your blackberrie. Easy enough, if it works, it works.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
222 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone use?

Depends on your Verizon plan. I still have the old Alltel plan..so I have no roaming and I get all my text messages and emails just fine. The only charges I have are if I check my vm.? I also have an ATT Go phone that I can forward calls to as a back up. It appears different plans that use different towers with Verizon can cause excessive roaming charges. I have never experienced that.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone use?

We traveled with both Verizon and Sprint in July....we had everything from HTC, to Windows phone, MiFi and very basic phones. Sprint - no issues on STT at all, St. John coverage was great around Cruz Bay but started dropping calls and picking up BVI towers about the time you get to Trunk, through the remainder of the island. All the features of the Verizon HTC phone worked grat as long as you were in CA, once you got out of town, dropped a lot of calls (they were at Bluebeards Castle). All basic Verizon phones could text without issue pretty much anywhere on the island. My Verizon MiFi was hit or miss....sometimes it worked, but had a very weak signal...most oftentimes it didn't. (used to travel with Sprint air card that worked great there). Sprint Windows phone was toast by the time we got back to OH. All the tower switching messed up its operating system and by the time we got home it had locked itself and had to be replaced. (the store was baffled by it).