We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

Virginia
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

I haven't been able to find much online regarding the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle. We have 2 nonconsecutive nights on St. Thomas with a group of 2 sets of parents, 2 tween girls and 2 teen boys and thought this might be a good place. Does anyone have recent info on this?

Aside from that, I've been looking at the Windward Passage but am not overly excited by what I've read. Given the group we have, are there any other recommendations for hotels?

Thanks!!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
895 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

When are you going?

Maybe Bluebeards Castle if the older people can do steps as it's on a hilltop and there are stairs to get around .

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

What do you find attractive about the Inn? Blackbeard's doesn't have a hotel anymore.

The Green Iguana Hotel is on Blackbeard's Hill. It gets good reviews though there's no restaurant.

The Best Western Emerald Beach might be another option.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

You might also check out Villa Santana. If your nights were consecutive At Home in the Tropics would be perfect.

When did Blackbeard's close? The website is still here http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/

I have friends who stayed at Blackbeard's and enjoyed the great views and proximity to town. It is very basic, however. No frills.

Level Contributor
287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

There is a Bluebeards Castle "Resort".

Did you perhaps get an RCI timeshare booking?

Reviews are: the rooms are circa 1970's, very poor ratings but some people love it cause it's close to town. Not on the beach though, except, I think , for one part (beach villas??)

I'm wondering if you have the names confused as I keep doing that and had to look it up on RCI AGAIN. One good thing I do hear and hope to go to is the restaurant, Banana tree, very good reviews1

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

Bluebeard's recently had a major renovation that will soon be reflected in current reviews. It's very convenient with constant breezes and incredible views.

Virginia
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

Thanks to all for the replies. I had expected to find more options for hotels, but it would makes sense that there are more resort properties. I'll check out Blue Beard's, Green Iguana and Villa Santana.

Wishing everyone a great start to 2012!

Colorado
Level Contributor
895 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

Room with a View at Bluebeard's is very good also.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
74 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

Hi, we stayed at the Green Iguana at the end of our trip for two nights. It is a close walk to town and restaurants and the taxis will find you to take you to the beach. The inn keepers are very very nice and the rooms were very clean. I recommend it!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

Blackbeard's, as an attraction, is still open, but the Inn isn't unless you're referring to Hotel 1829 which is now a Blackbeard property. I think they only have a very small number of rooms.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle? Other suggestions?

I just called "The Inn at Blackbeard's Castle" and they answered the phone Hotel 1829, so it's actually what everybody knows as Hotel 1829. Check for reviews on Hotel 1829 and you should find more information.

One advantage to staying at "Hotel 1829" is you have access to those lovely pools at Blackbeard's. There isn't a pool at The Green Iguana, and that was a big bone of contention when the current owner took over Blackbeard's - Green Iguana guests lost access to the pools. The kids will LOVE the grounds and the pools, but I haven't seen the rooms in years, so can't give an opinion on the rooms.