We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

Boyertown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

Need to stay 1 night in St. Thomas on the front end and back end of a trip to Water Island. As many have found, 1 night isn't so easy to find. But I called Hotel1829/Blackbeards Castle and spoke with a very very helpful Tony. Indeed there are rooms at both Hotel 1829 and Blackbeards Castle.

Has anyone seen these rooms lately? Some older threads said the rooms were terrible (one said terrible roach problem- not a few but infested), another website suggested there were lots of updates done in the last few year.

No where can I find pictures of the rooms at either. I don't need fancy, but I do need clean and comfortable.

Tony says Blackbeards has better views and pools overlook harbor but Hotel 1829 most rooms don't have a view and the pool doesn't either.

Thoughts? I've gotta get something booked soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

You can see photos of the room on Blackbeard's site http://www.blackbeardscastle.com. Whether they are actual pictures of the rooms I can't say, because I haven't been in the hotel in ages.

Have you seen photos of Hotel 1829? Unless they've completely changed the layout, there are rooms that look directly out onto the harbor. I've seen people standing at the windows and looking out.

Maybe they should provide a map of the grounds so guests can see where everything is. Everybody seems to be confused at this point, and in another post on this topic I mentioined that I called the number for Blackbeard's Inn, and the person answering the phone said Hotel 1829. The phone number is also 776-1829. Very confusing!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

I just called Blackbeards (776-1234) and got clarification. It seems as though they have re-opepend the Inn for lodging. Or maybe it was always open, and was only RUMORED to be closed.

The person I spoke with said the rooms in the Inn look west, so the harbor view is that of Frenchtown and Crown Bay.

Maybe I'll try to get by there and check things out, but might not be able to until Sat. Stay tuned!

Boyertown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

MS411 - it would be wonderful if you got a chance to take a look and clarify. The person I spoke to on the phone would be able to book me a room in either place. I asked him if he was going to put his mother up in one of them and money wasn't an object which would he chose. He said Superior room at Blackbeards (and that one is actually less expense and has a water view???!!!) I had called the 776-1829 number.

It is only 1 night on either end and almost anything is bearable for 1 night, but still would at least like somewhere clean and safe.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

I may go tomorrow if I need to run an errand in town. Stay tuned!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

I went to both properties today. Hotel 1829 converted the harbor view rooms to the on-site amber museum, so all the rooms are to the back. The rooms looked clean, but they are tiny and windowless. Not my idea if vacation, and I'm not that picky.

I loved the rooms at Inn at Blackbeard's. They have balconies so you can enjoy the tropical breezes, the furnishings are nice (the website photos are accurate), it's small, secluded and private, and your stay includes a free tour of the restored colonial buildings on the property.

I'm not a fan of US chain hotel properties like Hilton, etc. I like accommodations that reflect the destination, and Blackbeard's does that. It takes you back to a different time and place without sacrificing comfort.

Adam Forrester gave me the tour, and he was very friendly yet professional. You can contact him directly at Adam@blackbeardscastle.com.

BTW, a friend of mine used to work there, and she always had great things to say about the staff. The property has a vibe that you probably won't find at many other properties on STT.

Boyertown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

MS411 thank you so much for going out of your way to check out these two properties for me! I really appreciate it.

I'm going to contact Adam via email right now as you suggested and book the room at Blackbeards.

Julie

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

You're welcome, Julie. Let me know how it works out for you. I'm sure others will appreciate your comments, too, so if you could post them in this thread it would be very helpful (ha, ha! Though Trip Advisor would probably prefer you do a review!)

Boyertown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

I'll definately post them in the thread... and I'll do a review too.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

Blackbeard's Castle! Much better property. Lovely views from the hillside, pools. The rooms are basic, no frills. A walk down the hillside to town, but, if you have no problems with stairs, this shouldn't be a concern.

We were not impressed with Hotel 1829. It's convenient to shopping in town, but we stayed in one of the biggest and nicest rooms and found it dark and not very clean. It does have some character and the staff was very friendly and a one-night stay is not a bad deal. But, with an option, I'd go for Blackbeard's.

The best place -- but you need two consecutive nights -- is At Home in the Tropics. Lovely place with great amenities and excellent food.

Boyertown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blackbeards Castle vs Hotel 1829

Followup from our stay --

We stayed for 1 night (3/2) on our way to Water Island. The Inn is small (at this time I believe 6 rooms are available), we stayed in room 3 (top level, 3rd one from the courtyard). The room was very, very clean. The bathroom was brand new and had a really nice shower. The bed was comfortable. The room had a little porch that overlooked the sea in the distanceThere are 3 pools, one big one in the courtyard and two smaller more secluded ones. We didn't spent much time in the pool area as we arrived after 2pm and left by 11 the next morning. There is a grill/bar area that is only open to guests in the evening. The bartender was really nice and the burgers we had were excellent. A continental breakfast of juice, muffins, fruit and coffee is provided in the morning. It is served at the bar which overlooks the harbor, very pretty view.

The only downside is it is a bit noisy at night, with the noise coming from outside the property (barking dogs, and some riff-raff making noise and blasting music)- it was a Friday night that we stayed so perhaps the locals outside of the property were a bit rambunctious.

Included in the room stay was an admission for the tour. We enjoyed the tour a lot. We had figured spending about an hour, but ended up taking 2 hours. The tour starts with a guide telling the history, then you follow the path. At each stop along the way (particularly the plantation houses) someone gives you more information and history. It was worth the 2 hours. You end up down towards the Hotel 1829 (I think that is what it is called). And if you continue thru the Hotel you end up right at the harbor front. The walk up is back up the "99 steps", although apparently there are actually 103).

I would definately recommend this hotel for a few nights. Probably wouldn't stay for longer than that particularly if you didn't have a car because you would have to rely on taxis for trips to the beach or other locations.