We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to st. john, how long really

michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ferry to st. john, how long really

I've been scouring the posts for this info and it's contradictory, one poster stated it takes an hour both ways to take the ferry I believe from Red Hook, while the ferry schedule states about 20 min???

We have 10 hours in St. Thomas and I really wanted to rent a car and head over to St. John but also have time to see St. Thomas, any help would be appreciated.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

The passenger ferry takes 15-20 minutes and the car barge 20-30 minutes. Here's the link to the inter island ferry rates and schedules if you don't have it:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Buy a one-way ticket, not a round trip. The barge operators don't honor each other's tickets and buying the one-way will save you having to wait if you miss the barge you came in on. Have fun!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

The confusion probably is because there are two passenger ferries from STT to STJ. One from Red Hook that takes less time and one from Charlotte Amalie that takes longer.

But, if you want to take the car, you need to take the car barge from Red Hook as stated above.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

If you are renting a car on STT plan on a 30 minute drive to Red Hook once all paperwork is complete and then a ferry crossing will be 25 mins - 40 mins depending if you are on the fast ferry or the slow ferry - plus waiting time at the ferry dock.

Pia

michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

thank you, that helps, I'm still up in the air about what to do, I don't like to feel rushed anytime but especially on vacay, I'm still wondering if it would be worth going to St. John considering the time allowed, is the snorkeling as good on St. thomas?

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

Considering the time involved and the variables, stay in STT, there are enough beaches to snorkel that will keep you happy. Smith Bay(Lindqvust) and Secret Harbour come to mind.

RL

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

You might have 10 hours in port in the VI, but that won't give you enough time to see both STT and STJ unless you do a version of speed dating (I hope you know what that means!)

You would need to reserve the vehicle in advance, and pick it up as soon as you're able to get off the ship.

You could then head east and do quick stops at Coki and Sapphire beaches before getting on the RED HOOK ferry to STJ.

If you choose this route, however, you miss the narration and scenic lookouts that STT is known for. You'll also spend most of your day rushing to get the rent-a-vehicle, stopping at STT beaches on the way to STJ, and rushing to see the oh-so-beautiful STJ. Not only that, whoever's driving won't enjoy the visit as much as the passengers!

I think you should take an island tour of STT this trip, and immediately book your next trip so you can dedicate your time to STJ.

michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

This is why I love trip advisor, thanks so much, we'll stick to STT and rent a car, booked in advance, and take our time, I'm already looking into villa rentals for next year, thanks again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

Your going to have to decide what you really want to do. I don't believe you will be able to both in a day and be satisfied with the results. As others have said you will be rushing to much.

We took the car ferry over at 9am and last one back at 5pm (I think) and were rushing the entire time on St John. We only snorkeled two places on St John that day, Cinnamon bay, and Waterlemon bay/caye. Our time on St John also included a quick jaunt around Cruz Bay and stopping for pictures at all of the overlooks on North Shore Road.

One thing you have to remember is that the ferry "schedule" is not set in stone. When we arrived for the car ferry we were lined up for one ferry and while we were sitting there waiting, another ferry came in unloaded, loaded and departed before the ferry we were lined up for even showed up. Mind you that you are lined up first come first serve so to speak. The folks that left before us showed up after us. Similar thing happened on the way back, but we were the winners on that one. All in all it takes over an hour to get over on the ferry. Yes it is about a 25 min transit over but you have to remember the time spent lining up and loading on the ferry. Unloading is really quick.

Given the distance from Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook and more importantly the time of day you will be traveling this route you will be lucky if you get off the ship, get your car rental sorted out, travel to Red Hook (if your not familiar with the route likelyhood of getting lost is high thus delaying your arrival to Red Hook), getting over on the car ferry, navigating to those places you want to go on St John (again, if your not familiar with the route(s) getting lost is possible), getting back accross on the car ferry, traveling back to Charlotte Amalie (agian time of day is going to be an issue), turning in the rental car and getting back on the ship before it departs is a huge risk!

I am not trying to burst your bubble but you would be better off taking a passenger ferry from Charlotte Amalie to St John then taking a taxi to the place(s) you want to see on St John. Your only realistically going to see a couple of places on St John in the amount of time allotted.

I would say the same thing about St Thomas. You should decide which beaches you want to go to and limit it to that. I would suggest Coki (early) aand then head over to Sapphire Beach for lunch and afternoon. Then head back to Charlotte Amalie for some shopping on your way back to the ship. That would be a full day in my opinion.

Hope that helps,

Mike in Tulsa

michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

yes, a lot, thanks, we'll stick to STT, would you recommend us still getting a rental car vs. relying on taxi's, mind you I'll have a 4 and 7 y/o in tow.

10. Re: ferry to st. john, how long really

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:21