We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars ferry to st. johns?

West Chester...
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars ferry to st. johns?

We are staying in St Thomas in June and I would like to take our rental car to St Johns for the day..any issues with rental companies not allowing their cars going over? if so, does anyone know of any rental company that does allow? thanks.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

Just not Hertz as far as I know

Pia

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

But be aware that with the companies that will allow their cars to go to StJ, if there is a problem on StJ, it will be your responsibility to get the vehicle back to StT.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

And just to balance that, the incidences of a STT rental vehicle breaking down on STJ are so few and far between that they're almost negligible. OP, note there's no "s" on St John. Cheers!

If you don't already have it, here's a link to the inter island ferry schedules and rates:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

The risk of a modern and relatively new car breaking down are generally very small, but other things can happen that could cause a problem and ruin your day.

It may be an extremely small risk, but because the car-hire agencies don't want to take it., you should be aware that they are fubbing the risk onto you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

Good point Steve.....one that comes to mind is an accident....which do happen more often than you think given all the newbie left hand drivers.

Food for thought.....

Mike in Tulsa

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

If visitors' reports are anything to go by, there are a few stories in the archives of this forum related to car problems on STJ with rental vehicles from STT. I recall one where the driver put the vehicle's key into the pocket of his swimming trunks and of course they fell out and sunk (!) and another similar one where the driver somehow misplaced the keys. In one case a rep from the STT agency met the driver right off the passenger ferry at Red Hook with a new set of keys and, in the other, the agency rep actually came over to St John on the ferry with replacement keys. All at no charge. At least one of the rental agencies has an agreement with a mechanic on STJ in case of a roadside breakdown or a flat tire which the renter can't fix.

Thousands of visitors rent cars on STT to take to STJ every year and have no problems at all. Of course it's wise to ensure you understand the vehicle rental contract as you should before signing any contract of any kind but there are way more reasons to make a choice of renting either from a STT or a STJ agency than the very minimal possibility of some kind of vehicle failure or accident.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

thanks for all the info..is there any particular car rental that you would advise, especially knowing that we are taking the car to St. John (no s..thank you) for the day

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

Dependable, Amalie and Discount all receive consistently favorable reviews. You don't need a 4WD for STT and neither do you need one for a day's excursion to STJ. As mentioned earlier Hertz doesn't allow their cars to go there period.

A hint on the car barge - buy a one-way ticket and not a return. It's only a few dollars more but the ferry operators don't honor each other's tickets and it'll save you a possible wait at Cruz Bay on the way back to St Thomas.

Have a great time!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

STTR,

Until a month ago I would have agreed with you about not needing 4WD on StT, but just about a month ago we hit the exception.

The car was a hired (FWD) Ford Fiesta shod with Khumo Solus 25 tyres and there was about 50 pounds of stuff in the boot. It had just stopped raining, and Honey was unable to get it up the entrance to Red Hook Plaza. Of course, a RWD would probably have. gone right up Also, Honey got frustrated and gave up without trying very hard.

Steve

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental cars ferry to st. johns?

Yes keys in the pocket while in the water would be something that could possibly be more common of a problem with all the cars that have a key that is actually a chip with a transmitter.

Didn't think of that, but I am aware of it when I am on island. Our car at home only requires the key to be in the car and there really isn't an ignition to insert it into. So I make sure I don't have the key in my pocket when going in the water.

Mike in Tulsa