We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Leesburg, Virginia...
1 post
Save Topic
Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Hello, I went to St. Thomas in 2009 and we stopped at this very small bar at the top of the mountain where the owner gave us our Daiquiri mix in individual cups and just gave us the bottle of rum to serve ourselves until we were done.... has anyone ever stumbled across this place? I'm going back in October and would love to find it again!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

This one is doesn't seen to be ringing anyone's bell. Passing the bottle of rum to the guest to self pour is not in itself a very strong hint. That can happen just about any place. It first started being used when the Coke was more expensive than the rum so it was the Coke that was controlled and as you learned it still happens to this day.

Some more hints please, if you got them unless the rum did it's magic and the memories are hazy? Small bar, small room, view, decor? North, south east or west? Any and all might help. Sib's Mountain Bar Square Room about 30 by 30, no view heavy trees? Mafolie, 12 foot long bar, unforgettable view.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Got me baffled too. There is a roadside lookout on Upper Solberg put in by a Frenchie farmer some years ago but wasn't allowed to open back then. Lately I have seen him open. Whether it was more than three years he has been open is another question. Was there a view from this bar?

RL

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Maybe during early stages of the small tourist lookout at the South Eastern End of Skyline Drive?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

localsailor - the Beacon? I don't even know what's there but will have to stop in some time as I now live directly opposite it.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Beacon Point. Yes, sounds like something Herbie Carty would do. (Wouldn't call it top of the mountain though)

RL

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

High enough for me, Ronnie. I've never lived at such a high altitude before and I've been freezing my buns off here several nights and mornings - drive down to country to thaw out!!!

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

That's the one thing I can say about you. Strangely funny. Makes me laugh!!

On a side note, I do seem to recall being there on a tour with some Danish guests and watching Herbie do the offer bottle thing to some tourists. He and his brother Max Carty own the place. Max bought the property after hurricane Marilyn as it was blown away. Has a gift shop and bar there. Interesting place.

Ronnie

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Me thinks the bell has been rung. Nice job localsailor.

Now let's invite our O.P. Peggy R back in from the sound-proof booth to see what she has to say.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

I thought Randy Laplace owned that bar?

Ontario
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Very small, possibly sketchy bar on top of the mountain...

Yep, Beacon Point Bar. We were just there last week. Herbie made me a fantastic daiquiri & offered me the rum bottle, then our group of friends all had a shot of rum with Herbie. What a great character. I hope to get back to St. Thomas & have fun there again!