We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St thomas versus costa rica

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
St thomas versus costa rica

Hey guys finally after researching for many days on trip advisor. I have decided two places for HONEYMOON- Costa rica versus US virgin island- ST. thomas. Please tell me which one is best . I was thinking of going to US VIRGIN because I thought If I go there then I can go to BRITISH VIRGIN ISLAND ALSO but I don't know that should be the reason of choosing US VIRGIN OVER COSTA RICA.....What makes these two places different? Also my priority is not to do many activities such as zip lining, scuba, snorkeling and many more. I will do one or two. For that reason which place is perfect. Also we like young crowd around and also don't like lonely places. Nice whether for sure. budget wise I don't have much problem. Please let me know. If you have any question . I am looking for going for a week at least.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

I think you need to do some more research, you are comparing a country (Costa Rica) that is 19,730 square miles to a small island (St. Thomas) that is 31 square miles. The climate in Costa Rica is going to vary depending on the region and the season. What month are you planning to travel? Maybe that will help you get input on your decision.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

I am planning my trip from july 10 to july18 . But I still don't know where should i go out of these two places. what is your opinion about both the places. I told you my preferences in a previous message. I have heard lot of people go to costa rica but I have also read lot of good reviews about us virgin islands. its my honeymoon and I way to go to best place. Which ever place you suggest please tell me where should I land IN COSTA RICA because I have researched about us virgin a lot but i have no clue about COSTA RICA.

I am really thankful to you for taking your precious time.

Good wishes

Puneet

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

To get more information on Cost Rica your best bet would be to go to the TA site and forum on that country. We can answer most questions you have on the US Virgin Islands and there may be a few seasoned travelers who've been to both and can make a comparison but, generally speaking, I don't think you're going to find the sort of information you need on CR here.

The preferences you've listed can be met here apart from the ziplining. One such operation is in the planning stages on St Thomas but hasn't yet opened. Other than that we have a beautiful climate, excellent snorkeling, scuba, sailing, easy access from St Thomas and St John to the BVI for a day trip or charter sail; a huge variety of restaurants, bars; nightlife, and accommodation in different price ranges.

Alabamastan
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

I've been to both - Costa Rica only once, on the Pacific side in the Guanacaste (sp?) province at a place near Playa Ostional. I've been to St. Thomas on numerous occasions (but mainly to get to the neighboring island of St John) - my family lived in Puerto Rico when I was young and we visited the VI's on many occasions and then when my husband and I could afford it we started going back to the Virgin Islands.

I loved my one trip to Costa Rica - the people are super-nice (they were great at tolerating my horrible Spanish) and the area we visited wasn't over-developed. We went scuba diving (decent not great), and visited the volcano at Arenal. I think I enjoyed the wildlife the most - the alligators, fish, birds, howler monkeys and iguanas. The roads are an adventure in themselves. We had a great time.

The reason we go back to the Virgin Islands constantly is because the snorkeling and scuba is wonderful - I love the ocean which most of the time is a clear blue with amazing visibility and the beaches are beautiful with soft sand. I prefer St. John to St. Thomas because it's not as built up but I like St. Thomas as well.

Personally I think if you flip a coin you will have a fine time what ever place you go to.

-Sandy

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

Puneet,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

I've been to both places several times. They are two of my favorite places, but very different. The Costa Rica forum on tripadvisor is very helpful. I would take a look there for some basic information.

In terms of weather, July is the rainy season in Costa Rica and hurricane season in the Virgin Islands. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go to either place. The chances of rain are very high in Costa Rica, but the relative chances of a hurricane hitting the Virgin Islands are much lower (although it could happen so consider travel insurance).

The Virgin Islands have white sandy beaches and clear turquoise water. Costa Rica has golden and even dark sand beaches due to the volcanic nature of the terrain. The water is a darker green, and there are lots of waves (good for surfing). Both places have many options for activities.

If you have any other specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

I have been to both, and the VI is much prettier than Costa Rica, so your photos will look better. :-)

What I didn't like about Costa Rica is all the driving you have to do to get from one place to another. In the VI, you can go to several beaches within a few minutes of each other, and each beach will have a different look and feeling.

Costa Rica probably has more younger people than the VI, but if you stay on the East End of St Thomas (Red Hook), there will be plenty of young people checking out the bars and restaurants. You might want to check out The Ritz Carlton for your hotel.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

Thanks for the post. I think aftre reading all the posts Virgin Islands makes sense to me but As you said I can also visit BV island for a day through ferry. can I alos go to other island such as aruba or bahamas or st lucia or some other... or whichever is near...is it possible? I am planning to stay at Marriot frenchman reef morning star resort.. a deal is going on there...is it a good place ? This is my honeymoon.....But I also prefer to stay at some nice places in st john or some hotels not exactly resorts. I would like to stay alteast two places for a change.....please ;et me know...

Thanks much

Puneet

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

Thanks sandy can you please also tell me where should I stay on Virgin Islands.......st thomas and st john,... Should I rent car?

Best

Puneet

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

I LOVE both! But for very different reasons. If you love the beach, head for the Virgin Islands. You'll have a great time swimming, sailing, snorkeling, hiking, ferrying from one island to the next -- pretty beaches, gorgeous blue water, and great place to relax.

If you would like to explore the rainforest, see lots of beautiful birds and animals, hike in the cloud forest, do whitewater rafting, and have a more cultural experience, consider Costa Rica.

I write often about the Virgins and Costa Rica with photos. Check out my blog at http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/ (Be sure to scroll down to the right under "categories" to see posts on various places).

You can have a great time with either choice, but they are different!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St thomas versus costa rica

Thanks I am definately opting for Us virgin Island. I also want to go to puerto rico from st thomas . Should I land puerto rico first from my home countrt Dallas tx and from puero rico to st thomas and from st thomas to dallas tx. what is the best way to go from puerto rico to st thomas or vice versa.....either ferry or plane whatever makes sense...... I really like the idea of going two islands instead of one. Please let me know what are your views guys....This trip is really special to me so I am planning extensively. do I need a visa for puerto rico? I know i dont need visa for us virgin Island......

Thanks i