We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

We have 5 nights in the Westin St Johns on March 2013. I want to go to Jost van dyke ,

Is it a place where you could stay a night or 2 or just a day trip .

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

Just google Jost Van Dyke to find accommodation options

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

It's very easy to do a day trip to Jost via ferry from St John (no "s) and here's a link to the ferry schedule which should help:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Plus there are many day charter operations which include Jost on their itineraries and you can easily find recommendations right here on TA either in the general section or by using the search engine on this forum. Use the "by date" option on the search engine rather than the default for best results.

Enjoy your planning!

PS: You probably know this already but if you plan any trip to the BVI you MUST have current passports.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 22:33
Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

How much time to spend there would all depend on how much you like to relax. There's not a lot to do on the island. Go to Foxy's and have a drink, go to Soggy Dollar and have a drink then visit White Bay, and maybe drive around the island.

I personally could spend a week there, just getting up, having a drink, go swimming, then repeat. If this is not your idea of fun though, I would just do a day trip. Or you could do a day trip, and if you like it stay a night, or 2 or 5.

Jost is one of my favorite places on earth, and I was only there for a few hours.

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

We were there yes day. We took the ferry over. If you want to stay at White Bay...Soggy Dollar bar, they have small pod type accommodations. Beware...some do not have AC. We did see one of the rooms and it was very quaint...cute.

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

We stay on Tortola and staying on Jost is on my list, there are some excellent options up the hill and elsewhere. Jost offers several fun beach bars and great dining options, and you can find more secluded spots as well. The view from your balcony above White Bay is beautiful.

For a stay right in the middle of the action the Sandcastle at the Soggy $ Bar has beachfront and garden suites, very cozy but in close proximity to the daytrippers during the day. We would prefer one of the villas up the hill or off WB.

Definitely worth doing in my opinion, ypu will find a few highly recommended villas here on TA and TTOL.

And an original birth cert and gov't issued ID is accepted for entry into the BVI but I would recommend a passport anywhere outside the states anyway.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 02:15
Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

crmoores: No more original bc and photo ID for entry into the BVI. You MUST now have a passport.

Mentioned in this post
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

STT, there is conflicting information between the US (travelstate.gov) and BVI entry requirements, that's why I always side with the passport.

The last time I looked at this the principal requirement for entry into the BVI was a passport, but Canadian and US citizens could also enter using an authenticated birth certificate (not from a hospital) and a drivers license. This may have changed recently, and if someone is looking at an upcoming trip there and they do not have a passport they should absolutely call and ask if that's still in place first, thanks for having me clarify that.

Mentioned in this post
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

There's no question at all that a passport is now required. All the charter operators make it very clear that they can't transport anyone without one and all the travel sites likewise. It didn't used to be the case and only in the last year or so did the full law go into effect by sea as well as air (for a long time entry by air required a passport but by sea did not). Now to enter by sea as well you are absolutely required to have a passport or a passport card.

Bear in mind that many travel sites (like many websites period) aren't updated as frequently as they should be. Many of the inter-island ferry schedules still say "proof of citizenship required" for travel to the BVI. True, but it would be far more helpful if the wording was changed to reflect that actual passports are required.

Anyway, hope that clarifies.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

STTResident, I know we discussed this before but I know for a fact you are wrong. I have spoken with BVI customs over this issue. It is still legal for a US citizen to use an original notarized birth certificate along with a government issued photo ID. I clear customs several times a week, I have used a birth certificate many many times. Why do you say otherwise? What have read/heard/seen that I have not? How often do you clear into the BVI? Have you tried using a birth certificate?

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ST. Johns and Jost van dyke

Would sure hate hate hate to not have a passport when one was needed