We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help Wyndham or Marriott

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help Wyndham or Marriott

I am looking to go in July and am having such a hard time making up my mind. They are both all inclusive but marriott is $500 more for 2 people. Is it worth it? I hear that the Wyndham has crappy rooms and a bad beach, is this true? Also that the Marriott isnt the greatest either, please help.

Thanks,

Oakville
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

We recently stayed at the Marriott and thought it was great. We had an oceanview room and it was clean and the staff very friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed the food at all restaurants on the property and the pools and beach were great.

We did speak to a couple of people who had stayed at the Wyndham just prior to joining us and they had a very negative experience there and were especially critical of the rooms. Hope this helps.

Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

We stayed at the Marriott - Morningstar section last summer and had a delightful stay. I really didn't have high expectations and this took me be surprise. Nice beach, pool, rooms, bar, etc. Gorgeous sunset. The Marriott and Morningstar sections are connected by an elaborate walkway.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

I just returned from the Wyndham and found it a great place to stay. I was in room f-711 and it had recently been remodeled, was clean and comfortable. I had a fabulous view of the bay and pool area. Yes, the beach area is small but it was not crowded and I felt secure there. Since all beaches on the island are public, you can go to any you like. We went to Coki beach one day and found it was very large in comparison and very very crowded (reminded me of Jones Beach on a hot July day - wall to wall people) and I was worried about security the entire time there even though I had no problems. The Wyndham's only draw back is the 98 steps to the beach but if they seem too much, you can take the shuttle. My wife and I are in our 60s and we used the steps almost all of the time. Like anything, it is what you make of it. If you expect it to be great and go with that attitude, smile and talk to the help, they will go out of there way to be helpful. My wife and I were off the grounds in Red Hook and bumped into one of the food servers from the Wyndham and she helped us with directions and to find the right bus. You can not tell the difference between the buses and the cabs until it is time to pay the bill and what cost $2.00 on a bus will cost $20.00 in an identical looking vehicle that is a taxi. Same color, same markings, go figure. If you go to the Wyndham, be sure to play Bingo or Jenga for rum at the pool bar at 2PM and to get into the free slot machine tournment at 4 and 9 Pm for $100.00 prize. The Wyndham is located directly across the bay from Coral World and Coki beach but is a $10.00 (for 2) cab ride each way, or you could row over. I would recomend the all inclusive plan as it would cost you $18.00 a person for breakfast and $38.00 a person for the dinner buffet. Have a good time and try the frozen mango daiquires with mango rum. You can check your prices with "vacations to go", this is who I booked with and they had some very good deals.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

I just returned from the Wyndham and found it a great place to stay. I was in room f-711 and it had recently been remodeled, was clean and comfortable. I had a fabulous view of the bay and pool area. Yes, the beach area is small but it was not crowded and I felt secure there. Since all beaches on the island are public, you can go to any you like. We went to Coki beach one day and found it was very large in comparison and very very crowded (reminded me of Jones Beach on a hot July day - wall to wall people) and I was worried about security the entire time there even though I had no problems. The Wyndham's only draw back is the 98 steps to the beach but if they seem too much, you can take the shuttle. My wife and I are in our 60s and we used the steps almost all of the time. Like anything, it is what you make of it. If you expect it to be great and go with that attitude, smile and talk to the help, they will go out of there way to be helpful. My wife and I were off the grounds in Red Hook and bumped into one of the food servers from the Wyndham and she helped us with directions and to find the right bus. You can not tell the difference between the buses and the cabs until it is time to pay the bill and what cost $2.00 on a bus will cost $20.00 in an identical looking vehicle that is a taxi. Same color, same markings, go figure. If you go to the Wyndham, be sure to play Bingo or Jenga for rum at the pool bar at 2PM and to get into the free slot machine tournment at 4 and 9 Pm for $100.00 prize. The Wyndham is located directly across the bay from Coral World and Coki beach but is a $10.00 (for 2) cab ride each way, or you could row over. I would recomend the all inclusive plan as it would cost you $18.00 a person for breakfast and $38.00 a person for the dinner buffet. Have a good time and try the frozen mango daiquires with mango rum. You can check your prices with "vacations to go", this is who I booked with and they had some very good deals.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

Stay at the Marriott (down at Morningstar rooms if you can, a little nicer in my opinion)

Better location, better beach.

MD
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

Which has a better sandcastle beach? I'll be bringing 2 kids (1yr and 6yr). Any impressions of the kids clubs at either?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

Not sure about the kids club, I've never seen any sign of one at the Marriott, but we don't have children so I wasn't looking either...

I do know that Caneel Bay and the Westin over on St. John do have formal kids programs with thier own buildings, activities, etc...the Westin also has a huge amazing looking playground for the children.

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay
Caneel Bay
St. John
NewYork
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

I have stayed at both resorts. They are both great, but it really depends on your you. The Wyndham'ss beach (if you want to call it that) is almost non-existant, so u would have to go to Coki beach(it's the nearest the hotel) and if you are not renting a car don't even bother with the Wyndham because its far from town, taxi's can be a pain . The Marriott has a very nice pool( 2 to be exact, a big one with a waterfall by the fitness center, and a small one by the beach). The rooms are nicer at the Marriott but beware, there is a seperate part of the Frenchman Reef Hotel that supposedly offers Carribean Sea Views, and all u get is a view of the top of palm trees for your extra money spent! I would say that the Marriott was a more pleasing experience.

Whitehall, PA
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help Wyndham or Marriott

nikki912....Well, I would not call the Wyndham's beach "bad" I would call it small and intimate. The water off the beach area is great and this beach is private because there are rocks on either end that make it not a "walking beach". It was clean, with enough chairs for the people at the beach. I would not say it is "bad" it is what it is small. But the watersports are good. The rooms are not shabby....but I did not have the minimum or superior room. I will say that if you are not prepared for the 99 steps at the property that would be more bothersome than the beach. Yes, they have the golf cart that can take you from the lobby area down to the pool/beach area, but it is not always sitting there waiting for guests. It might have to be called. The biggest down side if you are going to be there for more than 3/4 nights is the dining outlets. Breakfast was the best I have had in the Caribbean, and we had lunch at the food cart by the pool everyday.....my problem came with dinner....they have 1 sit down ala cart rest (where breakfast is served) but you have to make reservations for dinner and if you are not aware of that you might be out of luck for your stay.....the other option is the buffet down by the pool. Different theme everyday, but not too good. So, you base your trip and resort on your own needs and requirements. If going for 5 days or more I would think you might get a little tired of the dining selections at the Wyndham unless you get reservations every night booked in advance at the main rest. Good Luck. Not too sure about the other properties but the the resort had a ton of lizards and they would come up to you at the pool while you were having lunch......for me that was stressful......hate lizards!!! And I mean BIG lizards....not little gecko's.....but they could be at all resorts!?! Hope it helps

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America