We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Echuca
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

My husband & I are looking at doing a day trip to the BVI to see the Baths & Virgin Gorda while we are staying on St Thomas. We were hoping to be able to do it for $200pp more or less. There are so many places to choose from though I don't know where to start. Is it peak tourist season in August? Will we need to book in advance or be able decide to just go on the day? I'm hoping someone will be able to steer us in the right direction

Thanks in advance

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

When we visited The Baths we used Limnos Charters...however, they just recently closed within the last year or so I believe. The next recommendation that I have for going over to the baths is going on Bad Kitty out of St. John. Their Virgin Gorda/Baths excursion stops at The Baths at Virgin Gorda, Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke, Norman Island Caves, and Cooper Island. This is $180pp (includes a $30pp customs fee).

I was on the Bad Kitty sister ship Calypso and it was the best excursion that I have ever been on...the crew was amazing, the food was amazing, and the overall experience was amazing. Other options that I know goes to the Baths are New Horizon II and Blue Tang. In order for you to get to the Baths you need a motor boat because of the distance.

I hope this helps!

Helen

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

We haven't taken these day trips because we stay in the BVI, but also look at Pirates Penny/StormyPetrel, very highly regarded.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

August is not the peak of our season - it is actually starting to get slower at that time with Sept. being the peak of Hurricane season - there are many recommendations for trip insurance for an Aug trip to the Caribbean.

The BVI trips have to leave fairly early in the morning so making a decision the 'day of' would have to be made really early, you may end up being disappointed or actually rushing to make the boat depending on how far away you are staying. Remember sunscreen - it is a long day on the water.

Staying under $200pp is doable if you join a group on a vessel like Stormy Petrel, Pirates Penny or Breakaway - they do not include lunch on these power boats - you will have to buy it ashore at the restaurant they stop at - if they include a stop at JVD it will also be to buy drinks ashore.

Your costs will be:

the boat trip charge

Customs and Immigration charges in the BVI

Lunch, food and drinks ashore

customary 15-20% gratuity to crew

any souvenirs or Tshirts

taxi to and from the boat or if you have a rental car, maybe parking fees in Red Hook

boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

any of these excursion starts from st thomas?

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

We did Stormy Petrel from Red Hook a few years ago while staying on St Thomas, and highly recommend it ( we have been staying on St John the past 3 years, but if I remember correctly, they first stop in Cruz Bay to pick up add'l passengers, and then again on the way back to clear customs).

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

The vessels I recommended all start in STT.

Byhalia, Mississippi
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

Yes, we stayed in St Thomas and caught the Bad Kitty excursion. It was so much fun. I highly recommend it.

Charleston, WV
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

Pirates Penny/Stormy Petrel is the way to go. They only take 10 people and have 2 crew members. Lunch is on Cooper Island at a beautiful restaurant on the beach. It is under $200 per person. Our family of 4 did the excursion to the Baths and Indians two years ago and it was great. They leave from Red Hook.

Boston...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

Hi P0llycat,

Could you share your experience of how your trip to Baths from STT worked out?

Most responses here [ thanks all for the pointers] are from visits over a year ago..... hoping that access to Baths has improved now.

If you could share the details like:

Name of the company you booked with

Where were you picked up from

Day of the week , Time to board from STT port

Cost for adult and child?

Appreciate it.

We will be there during Xmas 12

Echuca
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to the Baths & Virgin Gorda - recommendations?

I will be sure to share how it all went once we've been. We are on the countdown now...only 27 days till we leave!

Get answers to your questions about St. Thomas
Recent Conversations