We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather??

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather??

Just wondering how the weather has been. I am due to arrive 7/21. I know the weather can't be predicted and the reports should "be taken with a grain of salt", but it seems that there has been alot of rain lately with overcast skies.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather??

It is what it is. It's the tropics; it rains. But there's usually more sun than rain.

That being said, it is technically hurricane season in the Caribbean, so it's best to take out insurance to cover the trip and watch the weather the last few days before you go. If there's nothing brewing a few days before you leave, chances are you'd get back before being affected by it. Even when there is a storm brewing it's almost impossible to predict it's exact route.

Best thing to do? Don't worry about the weather. You can't do anything about it, and the Virgin Islands are still beautiful in the rain.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather??

There certainly hasn't been "a lot of rain lately" - I usually suggest a local weather site like www.weathercarib.com - you can access radar, satellite and plenty of info - if there is a weather system developing there will be specific info.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather??

We are in a drought and it has been sunny probably every day all day except for maybe a 10 minute cloud here or there so really not sure where you got the idea "there has been alot of rain lately with overcast skies " came from - pack sunscreen :)

Pia

ps: I do have to add that the locals are praying for rain to fill our cisterns :)

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather??

Pia, you omitted 'BANG"!!!! And that's all I'm saying'!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather??

I'm dead already don't you remember - my ghost posted the above :)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather??

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bang.......... too and two.

Dear TripAdvisor

We, your Destination Experts, can't stand another weather question. It has been answered what seems like a thousand times. I will try next week to make this a frequently asked question if I can remember what to do. This question has been asked and answered so many times that two of your Destination Experts have , figuratively shot themselves. on TA this week

I suggest that any question with the word weather in it be blocked.

While you are at it I have another great idea. I know TA is located in MA as I am . So just maybe you could refuse to accept any screen name that in any way references being a Yankee fan, such as the one that started this thread. Red Sox Nation will vote in favor.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather??

:) :) :)

Pia

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather??

Good grief, Beautiful Bill is losing it but I understand why. His tea isn't working!

Countless threads are created about the weather and if only new posters would simply scroll down, they would find a weather question and answers right here! Likewise using the search engine. We're not weather mavens and we have no crystal balls but all we can do is give you the averages and assure you that even if you come during a rainy spell it's highly unlikely that your vacation will be totally screwed up. That's a total rarity unless you just happen to book a three-day stay and right at that time a tropical wave just happens to pass over us.

Unless we're in the hot zone of hurricane season and something is lurking on the immediate horizon, stop looking at weather sites. During hurricane season take out trip insurance which is cheap. The last major hurricane to hit St Thomas was in September 1995. Stop worrying about hurricanes and stop worrying about the stupid predictions of stupid weather sites!

I think I'm done.

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather??

Bbill and STTResident: If you are tired of the weather postings, just ignore them. You are asking TA to censor people, which goes against the whole purpose of this site. You don't control ese forums, you enhance them with your local knowledge. Whether it be is forum or a forum for another destination, people age going to ask about weather as they get closer to their trip dates.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 17:09
California
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather??

Bbill and STTResident: If you are tired of the weather postings, just ignore them. You are asking TA to censor people, which goes against the whole purpose of this site. You don't control these forums, you enhance them with your local knowledge. Whether it be this forum or a forum for another destination, people are going to ask about weather as they get closer to their trip dates.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 17:10