We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

We stayed at Point Pleasant the last couple years and have a condo we rent that we just love. I know many of you are not fans of PP but my husband likes the feeling of privacy and I love the views and the wraparound balcony.

The condo we rent is just above Jack's just for reference. Across the bay there must be a local club that was playing the loudest music one night until 4:30 a.m. I like the sliders open but if with them closed it was horrible. Another night it was only 11:30 and not so bad. We really want to go back, but that was almost a deal breaker for us. Anyone know anything about the club or if it's still open? We went with our friends and they are not anxious to stay there if the situation hasn't changed but not sure if or how I could check it out. I've written to the realtor who we rent through but not sure if she knows or would be totally honest about it. Anyone know or heard anything?

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

What dates were you here? I don't think there's a formal club, but somebody may have had a private party near Coki. Loud music is prohibited on beaches after a certain hour, and some people call the police if music is still blaring after that time. Sorry, not sure of the exact time.

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

It was mid December last year. It wasn't exactly on the beach so maybe I'm not describing it right, but it's on that bay there. Is it Water Bay? Across from PP around the turn from Pineapple Point. It was only until 4:30 one night but until 11:30 another night. It was definitely loud and outside blaring. I know noise carries across the water, but 4:30 is excessive. We were there the year before and Fungi's had music playing in the evenings/nights and it never was so loud to keep us up.

We talked to some people the next day, people who owned condos at PP and they heard it too, complained but nothing happened. I think they talked to somebody at PP. Just wondering if anyone else had the experience or knew if it was continuing

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

To the best of my knowledge there is no nightclub in that area you describe and my bet is that it was a private party of some kind and that the incidents you describe were totally isolated and not common to the area. Complaining to PP management isn't the answer. You call 911 and lodge a pleasantly-worded complaint and ask that an officer please investigate. There are no licenses which allow any nightclub or private party to disturb the peace at 4:30AM. Even for a duly licensed nightclub I believe the cut-off is 1AM on weekdays and 3AM on weekends but, even then, any undue noise has to be turned down. But, as said, there is no nightclub operating in that area. I think you ran into an isolated incident which you're unlikely to run into again.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

Unfortunately, I can't remember if someone had a private party at that time last year, but it's a good possibility since that's the festive season.

But, I've started traveling with soft foam earplugs, because you never know when it's going to be noisy no matter where you go or where you stay. I've encountered noise from hotel construction, cruise ship motors, street traffic from properties right on the road, and from seasonal festivities. Hopefully they'll help, but I haven't had to use them since I got them!

But, feel free to call the police if the noise bothers you. I know others on STT have done it, and they've been successful in getting the noise stopped, so dial on!

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

I guess 911 will be the answer then if it happens again. We were there the year before and didn't experience anything like that. Believe me, earplugs would not have helped. It was crazy.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

I guess we have a communication gap. My husband now tells me he talked to security at PP and they said that it's a club and they've called the police numerous times and get no results.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

What club? Hmmm, I noticed something new when I was at Romanos not too long ago. Maybe that's it. They're not on the beach so they might have more flexibility. They don't advertise their events in mainstream media, so it's difficult to determine when they have events.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

Your husband presumably spoke to PP security last December. I left that general area in September of 2011 after 16 years but have many friends still there, am in that area several times a week, continuously monitor the local forums and haven't heard of any ongoing problems from visitors, or from anyone at PP or in the environs of Coki. I think you can rest assured that whatever problem there was has been dealt with. Many local "clubs" open and close with regularity when they don't have the proper licensing, I've always found the VIPD to be very responsive to noise complaints and I really think you have nothing at all to worry about.

One thing that many fail to realize is that despite all the vacation condos in the area, Estate Smith Bay is "home" to way more locals than transient visitors. The majority in recent years has become far more comfortable taking positive action to curb issues such as noise pollution because they too are disturbed by it. Apart from not wanting their family's sleep disturbed when they have to be up early to get to work and their children have to be up early to get to school, they don't want that "late night element" blighting the 'hood.

Again, I really think you have nothing to worry about.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

I am at point pleasant right now. It is 1145pm and the music is so loud that the entire island can't sleep. This is a nightmare. I love point pleasant but I will never comeback here because of this and I will never recommend this place to anyone because of this music. This is beyond intolerable, it is uncivilized. I have called security and they told me they have a permit for this party. I will wait until midnight and then call te police. This is insane.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loud music on Coki Point Across from Point Pleasant

I am at point pleasant right now. It is 1145pm and the music is so loud that the entire island can't sleep. This is a nightmare. I love point pleasant but I will never comeback here because of this and I will never recommend this place to anyone because of this music. This is beyond intolerable, it is uncivilized. I have called security and they told me they have a permit for this party. I will wait until midnight and then call te police. This is insane.

UPDATE: so the entire resort was ablaze last night with families who were completely unable to enjoy their time on the island. The party across the bay has tarnished the reputation of this jewel of the US. I will be writing a letter to newspapers and to the governor and senators because events like that and the reaction we received from the police are bad omens for the island economy.

Not only was the party unacceptably loud, the MC probably used the 'F word' every other word. There are children here! The worst part, however, is the response from the police. I must have called at least 5 times and I know other people called as well because I could hear them from my room. At first the dispatcher kept saying a police car would be sent to investigate the noise. On the fifth call, after I complained that no police had actually been sent, she told me, "they have a license," and there was nothing I could do. I have never, ever heard a response like that from police in the US. Anywhere else, they would have gone to the party and asked them to at least turn it down. I have no problem with parties and people have a right to have fun, but when it reaches the point of disturbing the peace, you must act. Especially when innocent little children are exposed to such filth. From the dispatcher's reaction, the police were at best afraid to act, but at worst they are corrupt. Either way, that does not bode well for the people of the area. I will be writing a letter to whomever I can about this and I ask anyone who reads this to do the same. Your tourism income is at stake.