We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October hurricaines

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
October hurricaines

Anyone know what the weather is usually like in October and when was the last time a hurricaine hit St Thomas. I am planning a vacation in October to the islands for the first time and want to know if I should bring some rope because I am not leaving, it is my vacation and I will ride it out.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October hurricaines

Here's a link which you'll probably find of interest:

stormcarib.com/climatology/KSTT_all_isl.htm

The most devastating hurricanes in recent years were Hugo in September 1989 and Marilyn in September 1995. November sees the official end of hurricane season with September usually the most active month. Come October it's the tail end of the season. Enjoy your visit!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: October hurricaines

Hurricane Omar hit October 15th 2008 - STX received the most damage. October can be an extremely rainy month or not. In the 7 years I have lived here we always receive 7-10 days of rain in October or November there is just no way of knowing. You have the right attitude - come and enjoy :)

Pia

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October hurricaines

If you're in luck, the weather will be glorious. With modern forecasting, there will be enough warning to make preparations if a worst-case scenario develops.

It is good idea to take trip insurance, which will protect you financially from costs incurred because of cancellation or evacuation. And, seriously ...

DO EVACUATE if told to do so. There are too many horror stories about people who bound themselves with ropes (literally) to ride out major storms. Don't become "the stuff that legend is made of".

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October hurricaines

Because there is an above average chance of some weather related problems during "peak hurricane season", one of the things you should consider is where you will be staying on island.

Some places are better able to cope with the inconveniences locally known as "the charm of the islands", and the staff at some places seem to be more willing and able to help visitors during those stressful times.

I suggest that in considering where to stay, you go to the review section of TA and look for reviews written by previous guests who stayed at the place under consideration when there was some "island charm".

Just as an example, read the fourth paragraph of the review written by daisyyellow on Sept 8, 2010 and the review written by msp223 on May 5, 2012 for Point Pleasant.

I know that some will correctly respond that the accommodation was not responsible for the hurricane or the power outage. My point is the adequacy of the facility and response of the staff in dealing with these problems.

Steve

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October hurricaines

Take out travel insurance and make sure it covers cancellation due to hurricane. Storms are unpredictable. Isaac, for example, is barreling across the Gulf at this moment and they still don't know exactly where it will make landfall.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October hurricaines

I was there last year when they were under a hurricane warning in September. Though I think they just caught the outer edge, but don't recall because I left a day early and flew to Puerto Rico, but got to hear the radio announcement for the hurricane warning, which was a little creepy.

Statistically speaking, you're probably not going to be there during a head on hit by a hurricane, but I suppose it's not impossible.

If you are there during a hurricane, with common sense, you'll know when it's time to leave.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October hurricaines

If you're here during a hurricane you're going nowhere but hunkering down with the rest of us!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October hurricaines

IMHO, STTR "hit the nail on the head".

Although he probability of a very serious problem (like death) is truly remote, the probability of a few days of a serious inconvenience (like "hunkering down" most likely bereft of electricity, and/or a change in itenery) is real--possibility. Possibly as high as five or even ten percent.

From that point on, it depends on your individual psychology and attitude. If, as you indicate, to you this is worth the risk, no reason not to come.

If, however, you would consider this a catastrophe in your life, should seriously consider the trip at a different time of year.

Steve

9. Re: October hurricaines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 02:18