We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

Hicksville, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

4 of us will be coming in Nov. ............Is a 2 Door Jeep Wrangler big enough for us. I kind of like the ability to take the top off but it's not a necessity if the passengers in the back will be uncomfortable. Thanks in advance...

California
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

4 adults+luggage = 4 door. Two door Wranglers are pretty small and I would hate to be an adult sitting in back. For the most part I think most of the rental companies have 4 door Jeeps anyway although I'm sure you can find a 2 door.

Most also tend to be hard tops because of the rain and added security, Zippered windows don't off much protection but I guess it cuts down on window break-in's.

Edited: 08 September 2012, 19:58
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

Most of the rental agencies won't allow you to take the top off even if it IS removable.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

Definitely 4 doors. So much more comfortable for whoever is sitting in back. Actually with 4 adults we always get a Liberty. More room for luggage, as well as beach chairs, snorkel gear & cooler.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

You might also consider a 4 door Suzuki Grand Vitara, I think it's a hands down winner for comfort and gas mileage. Mitsubishi's Outlander is another.

I rented a 4 door jeep with a soft top in Hawaii a few years back. The agent told me the top wasn't to be removed but then winked and said "as long as it comes back to us properly re-installed we really don't care". I know from experience that putting them back together is a lot more difficult than taking them down so pay strict attention on the front end otherwise the agency will likely pop you pretty hard if you disobey and they get stuck with the task.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

Passengers for a 2 door jeep, if they are sitting in the back, have a h@&$ of a time getting out.

Last time we rented one, the squeeze was tight and I ended up with a plate sized deep bruise from hitting the door closure.

If you have 4 people, get something bigger.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

I suggest that you go to your local Jeep dealer, explain your concern and politely ask to see the models under consideration. Then draw your own conclusion.

7. Re: 2 Door or 4 Door Jeep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 10:17