We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greengos Caribbean Cantina

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Greengos Caribbean Cantina

We have reservations at the Old Stone Farmhouse, but saw that Greengos Caribbean Cantina was now rated #1. With only 13 reviews I was wondering if anyone can spread a little light on this cantina, and why it's rated so highly.

It's our first trip to St Thomas so I'm a little unsure of the lay of the land. Where is Red Hook and what are some of the better restaurants there?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

Forgive my little bit of scepticism but I've never heard of the place until now and although I see it is indeed currently ranked #1 on TA, it seems it's only been open for a month (?) and the majority of reviewers have only ever posted one review on TA. Who knows, it may be the culinary wunderkind of the year, but so many very similar glowing reviews in such a very short period from one-time contributors just gets the old brain churning and mulling.

As far as Red Hook is concerned. that's on the East end of the island and there are several different restaurants to choose from in close proximity to each other and different price ranges/offerings. It's also the home of the inter-island ferry terminal and is quite a bustling little place!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

Thanks, I was sceptical as well. I didn't know it was only 1 month old. I've seen this before on my forum, especially with new lodging. I will see what the other folks I'm travelling with think. Sounds like friends are posting reviews at the moment. I do love Mexican food.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
824 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

As for good restaurants in Red Hook check out the posting that is 10 postings below yours entitled Red Hook Restaurants. There are 33 replies at least half of which are restaurant recommendations and reviews. There is a Mexican restaurant in Red Hook called Amigos. It is located above Molly Malone's in the American Yacht Harbor complex. Its been a couple of years since we ate there but I recall it was nothing much to speak of. perhaps others have more recent experiences.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

I have heard about the new restaurant in that alley and I should check it out. Was told it was good. One day I will. Wonder what they did to entice all those 5 star ratings. Everyone gave one.

It is in town in Hibiscus Alley, right behind the Banco Popular and basically across from the Belgian Chocolate Factory.

RL

Edited: 28 November 2012, 01:52
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

Ronnie, unfortunately I've seen this happen before and not just on the restaurant reviews but on condo reviews also. As far as restaurants go there was one not too long ago which re-opened under new ownership and immediately made a huge jump way up the list under exactly the same circumstances. One-time posters, 5 star reviews - a few "real" reviews eventually brought the ratings back down but those same owners still bring in shills to write glowing reviews and keep the rating up there. It's really too bad that this goes on but people who rely on reviews just need to keep their eyes sharpened for the obvious signs.

As far as the Mexican restaurant above Molly's at AYH, someone did tell me the other day that they had a decent meal there recently but reviews I was hearing a year or so back were in no way conducive to my going there!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

Thanks for the heads up on Amigos, I will pass on that one. But, I do love good Mexican food.

Great directions Ron. I think we will at least head over for margaritas and take a peak at the menu. If they have panuchos, tacos al pastor or conchinita pibil on the menu we may give it a try. Otherwise, how can one screw up a margarita?

Hopefully the Old Stone farmhouse will not disappoint for one night.

Any other great restaurants that shouldn't be missed? Doesn't have to be Mexican, I know I'm reaching on that one. Greengos is probably bogus, but I was intrigued when I saw it was #1.

Yeah STT, it was condos in Playa that were hyped. Gotta be careful.

I am looking forward to my first trip to St Thomas. I will be contrasting and comparing to my Playa del Carmen.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

BruSue, I saw that thread for Red Hook. I had no idea where Red Hook was until STT set me straight. I have Fish Tail and Pesce on my to do list for Red Hook.

How about a restaurant called Thirteen? Where is that, and is it any good?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

I'm going to Fish Tails for the first time on Friday so will be happy to report back. It's been open long enough and with consistently good reviews overall to look forward to it!

If you love good food you'll love Thirteen!. It's on the North side and absolutely worth going to. Ryan is a wonderful chef and he and his wife Kirsty run a tight and welcoming ship! Where are you staying so we can give you directions?

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

Frenchtown has some good restaurants as well if you are out and about. There is a small Mexican place there as well. Looney Bien.

RL

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greengos Caribbean Cantina

We are staying at The Marriott Frenchman's Cove. I found the Cove on Google Earth. For some reason Google Earth doesn't do a very good job of highlighting the restaurants on St Thomas. Directions to Thirteen would be appreciated.