We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel or Hammock Options?

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hostel or Hammock Options?

I'll be spending one night on St. Thomas before I head over to Tortola and am having a hard time finding any information about youth/backpacker/inexpensive (i.e. $50/night) hostels or campgrounds on the island. Any suggestions?

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

There is a very, very highly rated "campground ", I believe on water Island. Go the review section of TA, and it will be found under St. Thomas "specialty lodging". From what I recall, it will not suit your needs, but give it a try.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

There's nothing of the sort of thing you're looking for here, but check Crystal Palace above town. If Ron has space available he'll take a one night reservation and will usually pick you up at the airport and get you to the ferry the next morning too!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

Continue on to St John and reserve a 'bare site' location at Cinnamon Bay Campground - and take the BVI ferry from there - the airport taxi and ferry to STJ will cost about $20 PP - it is not a walkable or swimmable option - the R/T ferry to BVI is about $60 PP with departure fees and a passport is needed.

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

Thanks for responding. It's too bad there is nothing more affordable on the island. My plan lands at 4pm on a Tuesday. Is there an evening ferry to Tortola?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

The last ferry is at 4:30 from Charlotte Amalie which is a 5-10 minute taxi ride from the airport. If your plane is on time and you only have carry-on there's a chance you could make it but it'll be a close call. I've heard that if you let them know you're coming in they'll wait till the last minute for you but you'd have to call them to ascertain that detail. Here's a link to the interisland ferry schedules:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

There's a new place open on the island. A hostel/ guest house at Gillette Gardens called Rhoda's Guest House. Those who have seen it rave about its cuteness, and I think it's listed in airbnb. You cab Google to find them, because I'm not sure where I saw the info, but I have been in contact with the manager.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

It's Tillett Gardens. They have a barebones website but there's no rates or contact number on it while the following is on TA but again no contact number:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147405-d361808…

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

If you check airbnb.com there used to be a listing with info. I know I called her with questions last month.

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

I did a little more research and found a seemingly beautiful and quaint place for under $50/night. Just wanted to share the info. :)

Rhoda's Guest House>>

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147405-d361808…

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostel or Hammock Options?

^^^ already pointed out in previous post.