We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See other Islands

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
See other Islands

Our cruise ship will be docked at St. Thomas for the day rather than take the ships shore excursion we would like to island hop, maybe go to the baths, tortola etc. Any ides on how we can do that?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See other Islands

I would take the excursion offered by the cruise ship. That way if the boat has trouble between STT and the BVI, the cruise ship will not leave without you! I have read several recent posts stating problems with the charter/private boat where not only did it spoil their day, but in one case a second boat had to come get them. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See other Islands

The cruise ship does not offer any excursions that visit other islands...thought we could do it on our own??

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See other Islands

You can easily go to St John on your own. Take a taxi to Red Hook and then the ferry over. The ferry runs every hour on the hour both directions. Go to www.vinow.com for ferry schedule to other islands to see if you can fit it into your time frame. You have to have a passport and it takes time to go through Customs in the BVI and then again on your return to the USVI.

Another option would be Water Island, which is part of the USVI, so no Customs involved.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: See other Islands

Cruise ship tours don't offer a BVI trip on their itineraries and it really is taking way too much of a chance to try and do a BVI visit on a one day cruise stop. You'll have more than enough to do between St Thomas and St John!

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
700 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: See other Islands

Have you been to St. thomas before? If not, just stay on St. Thomas, because it's worth it, and you don't wanna miss out. If you have, visit another island.

I agree, don't do the British Virgin Islands. The Baths are on Virgin Gorda, which is the furthest by ferry, and there is always a chance you'll have to go through British customs which will eat up a lot of time. If you wanna make it back to your cruise ship on time, i wouldn't do it.

I agree, just do St. John. It is the closest and it's not very big, so a few hours will be enough to see all the main attractions. You could even walk accross the island and back in 6. IDK how often the ferries run though, so check a schedule before you set off,

Don't do exursions, those suck. It's best to hire a local driver for the day, or rent a car.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: See other Islands

BrianS: From your current posts and questions, I thought this upcoming trip is your first cruise and your first visit to the islands? FYI, there is not, "a chance" that visitors to the BVI go through customs and immigration - they must, period. And there is no way on earth you can "walk across" St John and back in 6 hours!! It's really not a good idea to give travel advice about somewhere you've never visited.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: See other Islands

You can also go to Hassel or Water Island for a quick hop. Kayaking tours are available to Hassel, and there's a regular ferry to Water Island.

Some ships offer the dolphin swim on Tortola if you really want to go to BVI.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: See other Islands

STT, I think Brian just thinks that both STT and STJ are smaller then they are.

Brian, STT is pretty big. It seems bigger than it really is because of the terrain.

STJ is smaller, but you could never walk it in 6 hours. Wouldn't want to either because the hills are killers.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: See other Islands

@Brian S - Looking at a flat image of a Google Map and then giving people advise falls under the heading "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing". St Thomas and St John are all hills with narrow twisting roads with drainage ditches on both sides. There are no sidewalks to speak of outside of downtown Charlotte Amalie and Redhook.

Rocky Dock

Water Island

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: See other Islands

Connie - I'd no problem at all understanding what Brian THINKS STT and STJ are like topographically, was simply explaining that it's not a good idea to offer advice to visitors when you've never actually visited.