We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

We'll be traveling in September to St. Thomas. Don't really care about the pool - looking for a great beach. Does anyone know if you can walk to Lindquist Beach from Sugar Bay Resort? Is Coki walking distance from both Point Pleasant and Sugar Bay? Does staying directly on Sapphire beach (visiting Coki and Magen's Bay on differing days) make the most sense?

Options (if you know of another great spot, please suggest!):

Crystal Cove on Sapphire Beach

Sapphire Beach Condominium Resort

Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Point Pleasant Resort

Another appealing factor to us is reasonably priced food/drinks. We were excited to read about Fungi's at Point Pleasant but hear that has closed.

We're not looking for anything fancy but a great view would be nice (though we plan on spending most of our time beaching it so that's not a deal breaker). My boyfriend and I are both 30 years old (if that helps with a recommendation). The beach, water, and reasonable food is most important! Can't wait! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

No, no, yes!

Secret Harbour is on a beautiful beach not dissimilar to Sapphire.

Sugar Bay is all inclusive, an adequate but not gorgeous beach.

Point Pleasant no beach to speak of comparatively.

Fungi's became Jack's and is now under new ownership and the new name has temporarily slipped from my turgid brain (it's raining today and the grey matter gets soggy). Good reviews from there so far.

I'd go with Sapphire with Secret Harbour second for what you're looking for. Have fun!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

Thank you for your advice!! What a great forum to receive intelligent input. Much appreciated ~

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

You can walk to Coki from PP and my last time there you could also swim from PP's postage stamp beach a short ways around some rocks to access Sugar Bay's beach.

Lindquist is about half way between Sapphire and Sugar Bay, few people walk it and few would suggest you try.

If you choose Sapphire there are 4 nearby food options.

The Banana Cabana just off the beach between building B and C.

I can't find anything on the web.

Sapphire Bar and Grill just above the marina behind the first line of condos at Sapphire Village. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147404-d2…

Off the Grid, a food truck up the hill between the entrances to Crystal Cove/SBW and the Sapphire Beach Resorty/Village entrance.

http://www.facebook.com/offthegridUSVI

There is also a Mexican food place I believe at nearby Pavilions and Pools. To highlight how useless Expedia is they say the restaurant for Pavilions and Pools the now defunct Jack's Bite that was 3 miles up the road at the old Fungi's location

You are also just at a mile and a bit from all the choices in Red Hook..

Secret Harbour has a higher end restaurant called The Sunset Grille.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147404-d2…

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

OK. Let me give this a try

I thing the restaurant at Point Pleasant is called Pangas or something like that now

What was a Mexican restaurant at Pavillions and Pools is (I think) now a sports bar

Things change fast in St. Thomas

Edited: 05 March 2013, 21:13
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

We love staying at the Sapphire Beach Resort for many reasons, the beach and views from the balcony on the 2nd floor are the top 2 for us.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

Bill, nice memory recovery for a 4 pm post. You run out of tea?

Found the following on the COA site and some other confusion on the web has me seeing it written as Panga or Panga's

Nice news- Steel pan music on Thursdays

Starting March 1, 2013, Panga has a new expanded menu.

This includes:

9 Appetizers

8 Sandwiches & Wraps

3 types of Pizza

Dinner menu - New York Strip, Thatch Cay Mahi, Surf & Turf, Salmon, Mango BBQ Ribs.

Additionally they have Island Tyme ROTI - Chicken, Shrimp, Fish & Veggie Roti.

And to top it off.....6 Desserts.

Starting this Saturday, March 2, 2013....Entertainment twice a week -

Thursdays - Steel Pan

7. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 21:05
Edited: 06 March 2013, 21:05
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

Of the four properties that you queried about, only Sugar Bay is a hotel.

The others are condominiums.

What is vitally important is that at any of the condominiums you rent DIRECTLY from the owner. People who do almost always have a much better experience than those who use a "third party". Go the the review section of TA, and read reviews, and you will see what I mean.

Steve

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

7anna7, I would stay at Sapphire Beach Condos. I don't understand the rating that Crystal Cove gets. We're hardly high rollers but CC just doesn't compare w/ Sapphire.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotel is Best for Beach Time?

I should have elaborated.... I love the beach at both Sapphire and Secret. Both have great snorkeling. The winds at Sapphire can be a very strong in comparison with Secret. Secret feels more relaxing due to this... We prefer the accommodations at Sapphire as we hit a homerun with a private owner for rentals... Hope this helps.