We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort narrow down

Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resort narrow down

Hello!

First time going to the US Virgin islands (I'm more of a foreign island girl, but I'd like to check it out!) and have narrowed down the resort choices to Sugar Bay or Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star. Anyone have strong feeling either way.

I'm in my early 30's, single and traveling with a girlfriend. We don't want to be on spring break but want some night life as well. Don't want to be on someone else's honeymoon either. And we will not be participating in any AI plans. Planning on some excursions to explore the BVIs etc while we are there too.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort narrow down

I would say the Marriot is a nicer property, but Sugar Bay is closer to Red Hook which has ferries and excursions to St. John & BVIs. Neither resort sits on a very good stretch of beach though. Even the Ritz which is a very nice property sits on a less than spectacular beach. St. Thomas is unlike foregn islands that you might be used to in that many vacationers forego the traditional hotel and rent condos through homeaway and vrbo.com. Check outcondos on the east end near Sugar Bay. Sapphire beach is my personal favorite, though others like the condos at Secret Harbour and Cowpet Bay.

Wherever you stay, be sure to rent a car and explore the island, it is safe and beautiful.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort narrow down

I would also consider renting a condo through an owner at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina unless you're looking for more of a full-service resort experience? The beach is superior and you're very close to the nightlife in Red Hook and the ferry to Cruz Bay for evenings there. The restaurant is currently closed, but there are other options including a beach grill, dive center, and restaurant behind the marina, and there's a nice two-tiered pool.

Just a thought!

You may also want to consider Tortola which is a 50 min ferry from STT. We actually enjoy more entertainment and happy hours in the evenings in Cane Garden Bay and White Bay on Jost's than in Red Hook or elsewhere on STT.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort narrow down

Both Sugar Bay and the Marriott have fantastic views, though on different parts of the island. The Marriott is closer to town (Charlotte Amalie) for lots of shopping, places to eat, nightlife. Sugar Bay is closer to Red Hook, which has some shopping, several places to eat, and nightlife. You can take a ferry to the BVI either from town or from Red Hook (though the schedules will differ). Sugar Bay has a nice pool but small, pebbly beach. The Marriott has an okay beach, but the snorkeling (if that's an interest) is not good. The Marriott has the better places to eat on property.

I would opt for the Marriott for the proximity to town and take the ferry to St. John for the outstanding beaches (some of the prettiest in the Caribbean, in my opinion). It's just a 20-30 ferry and you can easily go for the day and back, rent a car or taxi from the ferry in Cruz Bay St. John to one -- or more-- of the north shore beaches. (I would definitely opt for the resort experience over the condo, especially for a first-time visit.)

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort narrow down

I would not recommend a condo either for someone looking for a full service resort and an AI experience. But for someone planning a trip like the OP I would definitely consider a condo whether for a first visit or a 50th, especially if it offered a stay on a much nicer beach and still close proximity to nightlife and ferries. Condos aren't for everyone but they certainly have a lot to offer for those who aren't looking for a "resort" stay.

And St Thomas is one if those islands that does not have many real resorts or any real beach hotels, so condo rentals at the various condo beach properties is a very popular choice because of that. We choose Sapphire because we think it's the nicest, others will recommend another. But just another option the OP may not have considered that may appeal to them. You need to rent directly from an owner where possible of course.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort narrow down

Both KZ and CR raise interesting points.

It would depend on what you are looking for during your vacation. When I go to an island the last thing I want is a high rise hotel with elevators, and formal lobby. I want something islandy (for lack of a better term).

Yet, if you want room service, spa, on site retail outlets, and a high level of service then a Marriott (which of your two options I would choose) is what you want.

The condo resorts are much more laid back, and on St. Thomas have the nicer beaches.

6. Re: Resort narrow down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 05:16