We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

Florence In
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

We are considering St Thomas for a vacation maybe the last week of July or first week of August. We've never been to the island. Of course I'm concerned with hurricane season. What are the chances for this time of year? I'm hearing possibly higher rates of hurricanes this year than normal. Any other tips on visiting the island would be appreciated also. Best places to stay or visit while there?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

Buy travel insurance. Who will be traveling? Do you want a hotel or a condo? What do you want to do during your vacation?

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

Of course there are no guarantees, but the last week in July is very safe, and the first week in August only slightly less safe. Around the last week in August it starts to get risky.

We have a condo and we have noticed that many owners are down in July, and we will be down July 9 to 23 this year.

We have prepared a document for guests at our condo and recently redacted it for visitors who will be staying elsewhere, by removing all references to our condominium. If you would like a copy, just PM me with an EMail address.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

Will children/teens be traveling with you? Are you interested in history or just beaches? Do you prefer luxury or less than that?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

Two years ago we were there in the middle of July. Weather was perfect all week, with the usual Caribbean showers overnight. As people who are usually there in December, I was surprised to find that I enjoyed July more, weather wise. As was mentioned, buy trip insurance so you're covered, but the later part of hurricane season (September) tends to be the most active.

Best places is very subjective to personal opinions and budget of course. We prefer the East End/Red Hook area. Plenty of dining choices, close to ferry for island hopping, etc.

Florence In
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

It will just be my husband and myself..mid 50's. I'm looking for a good white sandy beach and we really enjoy Cancun resorts such as Riu with nice pools, swim up bars. Love the all-inclusives. We haven't ever rented a condo so don't know if that would be our thing or not. Pros-cons? We would enjoy having things to do within walking distance. Or at least tours available to do some sightseeing. We're not the athletic type though. I've read about the ferry and we would probably take advantage of that. We do like to get out some and see what they have to offer in the area.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

STT isn't like Mexico with all-inclusives doting the water. Most people rent condos or villas and either cook in or go out. Also, rent a car. You can go all over to different beaches. You can also take your car on the car barge which is a short trip over to STJ.

We always rent a condo when it's just the 2 of us. You may want to go to vrbo.com and look under either Sapphire Beach or the East End.

Good luck!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

Should you decide to rent a condo on St. Thomas, I urge you to rent directly from an owner--not through any type of agency.

The vast majority of owners are conscientious, maintain their condominium units, and treat their guests well. The agents tend to represent primarily inferior units, which are managed by property managers who should not deal with the public.

Go to the TripAdvisor review section and filter for the "poor" and "terrible" reviews and you will see that the majority of them had some sort of third party involvement. It is actually worse than this test will indicate, because some of those awful reviews involved agents, but it is difficult to determine this without some "inside" info, or PMing the reviewer. Then look at the "excellent" and "very good" reviews, and you will see that very few involved an agent.

As itsconnie suggested, look for places on VRBO (or HomeAway). IMHO, the best indicator of a good unit is a bunch of good reviews on the VRBO/HA listing and/or TripAdvisor.

Steve

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

I highly recommend Million Dollar View in St. Thomas. We stayed there and it was incredible! Here is a video that I filmed of the place. The location was breathtaking and the owners were super hospitable and the payment process, etc. was hassle-free. The deck was one of the best views on the island, overlooking Magen's Bay!

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGRNr_ryvrM

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

I just got back and we stayed at the Ritz condos (east end of the island) which we rented from an owner thru VBRO. No problems and it was nice to have room to spread out with five in our party. The Ritz hotel in adjacent to the condos and is nice if it is in your budget. Food is expensive at the resort, so the condo will save $ if you fix even just breakfast or some lunches. There are two pretty beaches and at least four restaurants on site and more a few miles away in Red Hook. The condos and hotel have several good sized pools and at least 3 hot tubs plus non-motorized watersports like paddle boards, floats, snorkling gear, Hobie cat sailboats and windsurfers on site for a daily or weekly fee. Easy access to St John via the the car or passenger ferries also in Red Hook. Shopping center in Charlotte Amalie is farther away and would be an at least 1/2 day excursion. I would consider trip insurance for any trip to the Caribbean in Hurricane season, you never know.

10. Re: St Thomas 2013 Vacationing First Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:16