We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

Traverse City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

Our family of 7 has kids ages 10-17. One with special needs (Down syndrome+). We've stayed in all-inclusives in Mexico and the DR, cruises and a condo in Grand Cayman. We have tickets booked for spring break 2014 to St. Thomas. We're thinking of renting a villa on Tortola but are wondering about other's experiences with resorts, all-inclusives or villas on the other surrounding islands.

Your opinions are much appreciated!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

Why do you have tickets booked for St Thomas when you're planning on staying on Tortola? You do realize these are two different countries? Sorry, I'm just confused. The logical thing is to fly into the BVI.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

Lots of people fly into STT and ferry over to Tortola, but if I were you I would post on the BVI forum for advice on accommodation. The BVI is not an AI destination or a place where you will find lots of large resorts, However, there are a lot of villas, but you should post on the other forum to ask your questions and in case you are not aware of it, you will need a passport or a passport card (if arriving by boat) to enter the BVI.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

EDIT - saffie I posted before seeing your response...

Actually most folks do fly into STT and ferry to Tortola. The reasons are of course to avoid long layovers and/or high airline prices. It costs quite a bit more to fly directly into EIS, or you have to endure an extra layover in SJU or elsewhere for the convenience. But if staying on zbirgin Gorda or the east end of Tortola EIS is very convenient.

John, this forum wil help you to learn about the hotel and villa options on St Thomas and St John (the USVI). St John is a beautiful island (as are areas of St Thomas). St John has the Westin Resort and more exclusive options, and there are also many condos and villas available. St Thomas has the Marriott Resort and the Ritz Carlton as well as the Bolongo Bay Resort which has an AI option and many beautiful villas that will accommodate your family. The STT/STJ destination experts can help steer you to the best options.

if you are interested in learning about resort and villa options in the British Virgin Islands you will want to visit the Tortola forum here on TA, and especially the BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com).

Having said that you will find many excellent resort options in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda (Bitter Yacht Club for example), some with AI options. And some nice condos/apartments in the Valley around Spring Bay. Those like the BYC are upscale properties that are somewhat pricey as compared to the typical RIU, Secrets, Dreams, and other AI resorts that are popular in Mexico and the DR. We like RIU and Iberostar in Riviera Maya and Dreams in PV and Bayahibe, and you will not find these types of resorts anywhere in the USVI or the BVI. Alashas is a destination expert for VG and can help you with questions on either TA or TTOL.

Tortola is a short 50 min ferry from STT and has many excellent villa options as well as a newer Marriott property (Scrub Island Resort). Also more dining options if that is a factor. Both Tortola and VG boast gorgeous beaches. We enjoy Tortola the most because it's a great base as well as a gorgeous island with wonderful people. But we also like VG, STJ, and STT.

Take a look at the geography of the area, all of these islands are beautiful and are within pretty close proximity to one another which makes it easy to see other islands during your visit. You need passports for entry into the BVI of course but I assume you have them based on your travel history. It will be busy at this time so if you want someplace away from busier areas look at villas advertised on TTOL or for even quieter digs Virgin amd book early as this is a very busy time to go.

Sorry for the long wind, but enjoy researching these options, you chose an excellent area to bring your family!

Edited: 17 July 2013, 03:08
Traverse City...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

Thank you all for the very useful advice. Yes, we all have passports! :->

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

We stayed at the Fort Recovery Villas when my family went to visit Tortola years ago when we swam with the dolphins. We had 7 people and got a 4 bedroom villa. All bedrooms had air conditioning and the main living area had only fans (it was ok because we had the windows opened which allowed a great breeze to come in). This villa was beach front and had a excellent views and a balcony. We had a hard time finding a place to accommodate 7 people but I have to say that this place was great!!

Here is the link to the place: http://fortrecoverytortola.com/

I hope this helps!

Helen

6. Re: Family of 7, looking for advice on lodging in BVI.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19