We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

Cleveland, Ohio
2 posts
Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

Hi,

I am noticing that flights from Ohio to San Juan are much cheaper than directly to St. Thomas (my intended destination). Is it worth the savings for myself and my four kids (ages 8-15) to book a flight to San Juan and then take a ferry or a flight to St. Thomas? How much do these typically run? How much of a hassle would this be compared to a direct flight to St. Thomas? We appreciate your input and suggestions!!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

I am not aware of any regular ferry service from San Juan to St. Thomas. I checked www.vinow.com and found a notice that as of May 2006, the St. Thomas/St. John - Puerto Rico passenger service is not operating. I'd be hesitant to rely on the ferry, even if it were operating - too many variables - flight delays, ferrys typically aren't operating after dark, etc.

You might find it cheaper to fly into San Juan and then take a flight over to St. Thomas. Most of the major carriers serve STT, or you could use one of the inter-island carriers, such as Cape Air or Air Sunshine. You could also ride a Sea Plane!

I guess it all depends on the time you have for vacation vs. the cost savings. I've flown thru SJU on my way to Tortola and it's a pretty easy connection and a pretty easy airport to navigate.

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
175 reviews
2. Re: Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

Yes, it is worth it. Look at cheaptickets.com or Cape Air. We ended up paying less than $400 per person from Richmond thru Cincinnatti to SJU then on to STT on Cape Air.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
752 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

So how much is the fight from San Juan to St. Thomas?

I'm finding that out too....that it is cheaper to fly into San Juan than St. Thomas!??!

I really love St. Thomas....so I really don't want to stay in San Juan!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
1 review
4. Re: Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

Flights tend to be in the $150.00 per person roundtrip range - as high as $185.00 as low as $125.00 in my experience.

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
175 reviews
5. Re: Cheap flight or ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas??

Yes, we paid 150.00 per person for 4 of us.