We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A private villa on a peaceful beach

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
A private villa on a peaceful beach

Ah, that sounds so good :-)

We both need a week of peace and quiet, laying on a sunny beach and relaxing in the evenings reading a book or maybe watching the sun set.

We have never visited the US Virgin Islands so I know only what I've read here and soon (Ihope) what I discover from Bill's list! What I'd like to find is that fine balance between feeling remote and safe, somewhere we can cook in or eat out easily, where we can be alone and yet within reach of the amenities of civilisation.

The budget is $2500 for the villa, and it would be helpful to hear your advice on whether a car is necessary.

I hope you can help :-)))

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

Your description sounds much more like a nice villa in the Belmont area near Smuggler's Cove on Tortola. Just a 50 minute ferry ride from St Thomas into West End, Tortola after flying into STT. St Thomas has some nice beaches but for a nice villa overlooking a gorgeous beach the BVI is perfect, whether on Tortola, Spring Bay, Virgin Gorda, or better yet, Anegada. Do some research on villas in the Belmont area within walking distance of Smuggler's or those in the Spring Bay area of VG. Of course you'll get more info on the BVI at the Tortola forum, and another great source for detailed information is the BVI forum at traveltalkonline.com if interested.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

I'd suggest you take a look through villa and condo listings on www.vrbo.com. You can enter your parameters and come up with hundreds of listings which you can then go through and get a feel for what's available and what might suit you.

As far as renting a car is concerned, that's a "yes" wherever you stay! St Thomas is a "get out and explore" island with so much to see and do and many lovely beaches to enjoy, plus you can take your rental vehicle (with the exception of Hertz) over to St John for day trips to explore that beautiful island as well.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

Not sure you will find a villa right on the beach on STT or STJ in that price range. There are a couple on St. Croix - Sugar Bird Rest and Lymin' Beach House to name 2.

Good luck!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

Depends when you want to go. Alfresco villa on Tortola would be perfect for you. You would need a car, but it's near civilisation and two of the best beaches on the island. If it's early nov or dec they are giving great discounts I think. The website is www.alfrescobvi.com. I have stayed there. It's a fantastic villa newly built which does get booked up quick but I have checked the calendar and there is still some availability. You would fly to st Thomas and take a ferry. A great way to arrive. Good luck

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

I don't quite see in the OP's post their asking about Tortola ANT081 and Bluewater464. So why respond? This is a question about The US Virgin Islands. Never can understand these things. Maybe you have personal stakes in those villas?

Yes, there are villas by the waters edge. All three islands do have some. vrbo is a good choice however there are countless villa rental companies that you can also find places at. They do offer deals from time to time.

RL

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

"I don't quite see in the OP's post their asking about Tortola ..."

I've noticed this a few times recently (and it seems to be a rather new phenomenon) that people have asked specifically about the US Virgin Islands and even specific islands but have been urged to look instead at the BVI. Peculiar.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

>>I don't quite see in the OP's post their asking about Tortola ANT081 and Bluewater464. So why respond? This is a question about The US Virgin Islands. Never can understand these things. Maybe you have personal stakes in those villas?<<

>>I've noticed this a few times recently (and it seems to be a rather new phenomenon) that people have asked specifically about the US Virgin Islands and even specific islands but have been urged to look instead at the BVI. Peculiar.<<

The question was posted on this forum so you feel the OP should limit his options to STT and STJ and not learn anything about options 50 minutes away? WOW - how childish...

The OP is seeking "a private villa on a peaceful beach". I'm not the expert on STT but I do know that Tortola and VG fit this description much better than STT or STJ. I take offense at your last remark Ron (for what it's worth) and I'm surprised to see that. I'm accustomed to seeing these barbs from STTResident (and her last one above) and everyone else here is as well. That's just her "style".

But no worries, this forum is riddled with these innuendos and accusations, and it is too bad as it takes away from the helpful and UNBIASED information for those seeking help here. The OP may not have a passport and so is looking for something on STT and that's fine. But don't promote ignorance.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

I took a look at some of the other posts of ANT081 and no matter what forum the message is the same. Now I agree that posters with knowledge should be heard, and no one answer fits all occasions. When I see a common thread no matter the question or forum it does raise some concerns. I have many other things of much more importance than a repetative post, but it does make me question the motivation of the poster.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

The only Villa that I know on STJ that has a private, very small beach is Blue B@tch. I know someone that stayed there and said it was amazing.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A private villa on a peaceful beach

Thank you beautiful bill for your comments

I have been going to Tortola since I was a teenager. So I suppose I am a fan of the place. I have stayed at many wonderful places around the world but I confess I,m hooked on the Bvi. I have also stayed at a great many villas but since trying this last one it's my preferred choice. That's not to say there are many beautiful villas both in the usvi and bvi, and I am sure you will do a lot of research before choosing that perfect place. As others have mentioned vrbo.com gives a good choice of both expensive and budget accommodations. It's a good place to start.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 08:22