We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Topic
Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

Hi there,

I am looking for just a midsize car to rent (like corolla I assume fine) to drive for a week trip in STT and STJ. Almost everyone says bad reviews with Budget rental at airport...

How about Avis..is that better?

My husband is very picky with cars..and especially with little ones (2 and 4) year olds we have concerns with safety, mechanism failure, etc..

I read that Dollars and Thritfy, although, not located at airport, could probably get you car faster than Avis or Budget at airport...with 2 "wild" kids its so difficult to wait long..any opinions..

Thanks

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

When will you be coming, what day of the week will you arrive?

Saturday is the big turnover day so the car rental process can take some time especially in high season. Also understand that no matter who you rent from there is no guarantee that that type of car will be available , but again it depends on when you are coming

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

We are arriving on a Sunday afternoon on dec8th.

I rented cars so many times in France New Zealand Australia etc and never had problems so I find it so astonishing so many issues with at Thomas rentals that posted in forum..

Should I rent with Amalie or dollar thrifty..also with two kids we should have car seats..I wonder how much issue to have 2 car seats..

Thanks

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

All in all the rental car agencies here (and their vehicles) are very dependable and, considering the thousands of visitors who join us every year, the complaints are really not very high statistically. The main issue with Budget isn't anything to with mechanical issues but with their sometimes inability (particularly in high season) to honor reservations.

As far as the car seats are concerned you would have to ask of whomever you reserve. I believe that the airlines don't charge additional baggage for them if you bring your own. Have fun!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

Early Decenber and a Sunday should not be overly crowded at the airport so I think I might go with Avis. I think it might be easier with the kids to stay at the airport as the shuttle the off site rental companies send will most likely not have car seats although you do not have far to go. Amalie used to bring the cars to you but I read they are not allowed to do that now but I am not sure on that.

I would call the St. Thomas airport regarding the car seats to check on availability and cost. I am relatively new ( a new Grandpa) to the whole car seat thing but the rental companies may have older seats if that is a concern.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

We have rented from all three of the agencies at the airport and D/T many many times over many years and never had a significant problem. The fact that we always travel mid-week may have something to do with it. We also have observed the limaceous pace of the queues at the car agency counters, and I have often felt that we were often underway sooner when we hired a car from D/T

That said, this forum is teeming over with reports about problems with Budget at the airport not understanding what a "reservation" is.

In addition, within the last six or so months there have been two extremely serious allegations about D/T.

The first involved their not maintaining their cars in a safe condition; the second involved a car not being insured.

Given the above, I would not hire from Budget or D/T.

Steve

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

Who is D/T?

Thanks everyone for response...now I am concerned with the car seat factor..

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

D/T =Dollar/Thrifty. On StT they are exactly the same outfit, and I believe that that is true elsewhere.

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

thanks!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

I just got back from a trip to STT and I rented from Amalie Rentals. The vehicle (a Jeep Wrangler) was immaculate and the service was extraordinarily good. I arrived at the airport at 9.20pm, at which time Hertz and Avis could not rent me a car because their offices were closed !!!!!! Amalie arranged to leave the vehicle in the car park and text me the ocation of the vehicle and the key. No problem. In fact I got a text to say that the owner (Amy) found that she was available to meet me on arrival, which made life much easier.

I had a small issue with the car and she was beyond helpful and pleasant on the phone.

When I left, the Amalie rep met me at curbside at the airport and she was also pleasant and efficient. This is a super company and the best rental company I have ever dealt with anywhere in the world.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 12:28
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better to use Avis at airport? car rental

The biggest problem we had with Budget is we reserved an intermediate car from Budget.com with the expectation that it would be equivalent to a Lancer as the website says, but when we got there, they said an intermediate car is a hatchback Yaris. Budget.com shows the Yaris as an economy car. We were 4 adults and couldn't fit in the Yaris. Our only alternative was to upgrade for $13/day to a Jeep Wrangler. Also---we are use to Budget letting spouses drive free, but in St. Thomas, they charge $11/day extra for that. By the time we paid all the fees and such, our rental rate for 9 days went from $450 (which I thought was high), to about $660. That's without insurance.