We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

We have bombed out on most of our restaurant choices, average at best, nothing that seems authentic regional food that is really, really delicious. Any ideas?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

Victor's New Hidout, get the native fish dinner. Easier to find in daylight, turn south at the light between the Moravian Church and airport then turn west and follow the road around as it curves south again through an industrial area. When you think it's getting too narrow turn left up the hill to the top. Nice view, plastic table covers. Night I was last there the service was slow but the food ROCKED! Nice view of the cruise ship dock at Crown Bay.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

Most authentic for me is Cuzzin's on Backstreet. Lunch only. Sea Side Inn in the lagoon area in Nadir as well.

RL

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

It would help if you named restaurants you've already tried. Sometimes the best food is found at food trucks or casual restaurants.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

Honestly the place where I've seen the most locals eat is the Food Center's hot counter in Red Hook. Go at lunch and they have all sorts of island food which is really Soul Food, for cheap and its really good.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

I'll second SeaSide Inn. Don't be deterred by the general look of the place. It's a local treasure for good local food. My favorite dish there is the boiled ol' wife (trigger fish) ... and make sure you partake of a shot of "roots" from the bar. I like a chaser of milk but some prefer orange juice. It allegedly enhances the libido but don't overdo it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

Having seen it over the years am not sure where customers park when going to SeaSide Inn?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

There's a small parking area right on the side and I've had no trouble finding a spot there. Maybe Ron can help with alternatives just in case ...

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

We really enjoyed the food truck at the top of the street leading to Sapphire resort.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

The food truck at the top of the hill, Off The Grid , has smoked barbque food. It isn't in any way local food it is a good option for an inexpensive meal but isn't local

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Actual authentic non-touristy good local food places here?

For another real experience, the folks for Seaside also have The Patch just below in the lagoon. There are spaces alongside the restaurant to the right and I am sure you can park below amongst the boats, as they own all of that property.

RL