We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Topic
fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

I can't seem to find my exact answer after search and even calling TSA or agricultural..and even airline don't know...gees..maybe someone on this forum knows?

We are taking plane from Newark to ST Thomas...my kids are fruit lovers but are picky with what they eat so I would like to bring fruits like bananas, avocado, and apples and clementine/. Can you bring those on carryon on plane (so they don't get squirshed)...do they need to be consumed before getting of plane? I don't know if fruits you can even check in..

I know they sell these things on st Thomas..but not sure how fresh and price? bananas are like 59 cents a lbs here and apples are 1.30 per lb here..so I told husband we should just buy there if prices are about the same and things are fine..less hassle..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

Hi fellow NJ, you can definitely bring fruit on the plane. I'm not sure about bringing back from St. Thomas. I also plan on bringing snacks and fruit, English muffins, tuna, and peanut butter.They always travel well. Do not bring yogurt, I learned my lesson in liquids. Hmmm, I pay .47 lb for bananas! Have fun!

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

Hi there..thank you..is there limit to amount u can bring on darryon? I asked both tsa and the united airlines that I want to bring 5 bananas and avocado and apples on carrying and they couldn't give me an answer..gees..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

As long as it fits into a standard size carry on that stores under your seat or in the overhead you should be ok. That you have to check airline website. Put your bananas in bubble wrap, LOL! You can also carry a grocery bag with some, we bring sandwiches and fruit to eat on the plane and walk off the plane with anything we didn't finish.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

If it fits in your carry-on you're good to go on the way to STT. You cannot however take any fruits or veggies home with you.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

Bringing bananas, avocados (and apples) here is like taking coal to Newcastle ... All the supermarkets are loaded with them and likely Fruit Bowl in Wheatley Center carries clementines.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

I am certainly not an expert on this subject, but when I have bought bananas in STT they seem to ripen very quickly. I now will usually buy only what yellow bananas I plan to eat the next day or two and green bananas for later on.

new jersey
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

Yes I have no doubt these fruits are found on ST Thomas..my husband is more aobut price..

We are okay paying .80 cents a lb banana or $2 lb apple (since they are .50 and $1.20 in NJ)..but if they are significantly more expensive .. like $2lb banana or $4 lb apple..he would like to bring some..clementines is $2 a bag here of 20 of them or so (my friend just came back from Grand Cayman and she said she brought similar bag for $10 there)

So does anyone know what the avg current cost is for fruits, roughly?

Also..we really don't want to spend so much time food shopping..we just want to go into supermarket and come out quickly..most likely Food Center in Redhook..probably won't go to multiple places..

Thanks for the info...

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

Here's a link to this week's specials at Plaza Extra in Tutu Park Mall which will give you an idea of prices:

http://www.plazaextra.com/stthomasad.htm

At CostULess today, bananas were 0.69/lb and I bought a 4lb bag of small Florida oranges for $4.29.

You can browse CULess prices here:

http://www.costuless.com/store037/#

Edited: 03 December 2013, 17:53
Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

Can't bring them back from St. Thomas, can't take fruit on the plane, I have tried :) Made me a nice fresh fruit salad before the flight and had to surrender it to the officer at the "border".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
800 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fruits and veggies on plane allowed or just checkin?

parissian,

Bring SOME fruits with you, if you happen to have them. E.g., if I have some hard fruits at home -- limes, apples, unripened avocados, I put them into the suitcase.

Squishy things like bananas, even in your carry-on are going to be a pain, and are going to get smelly, too!

If you're trying to save $$ maybe bring dried fruit from home or fruit leather.