We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling/scuba advice

westfield, nj
Level Contributor
179 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling/scuba advice

I am a dedicated snorkeler (time in water much more important to me than music or liquor) and inexperienced diver stopping here for one day on an NCL cruise. I have not been to St. Thomas for a few years. I will greatly appreciate advice on whether there have been any recent developments at any of my prior snorkeling sites--Coki; Sapphire and Trunk--which would affect my choice of which to choose (or did I miss a top location?).

Are there very good diving opportunities here? In the past, I found so many fish near the surface that I never explored any novice level dives other than off the beach at Coki.

Thanks

thanks!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

I think those locations may be more crowded now than in the past. Boat captains and others report seeing more turtles.

westfield, nj
Level Contributor
179 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

Thanks! Are there any very good spots which are not as crowded?

Is there a snorkel tour you think is very good?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,846 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

I'd suggest where snorkeling is concerned that you take a half day sail with a seasoned captain as they know all the best spots to go. I'll suggest "Independence" for a start.

http://www.sailingvirginislands.net/

If you want to do a scuba trip, I highly recommend Red Hook Dive Center who'll be happy to accommodate your schedule and time constraints.

http://redhookdivecenter.com/

Have fun whatever you decide to do!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

If you're just going to be here for a day, I would stick to snorkeling and get to Secret Harbor. Maybe get over to Lindquist as well. If you're interested in getting to STJ, Waterlemon is hands down my favorite snorkeling site in the VIs. The likelihood of seeing turtles, shark, and rays, is better here than anywhere else I've seen on STT or STJ. I would just add that the snorkeling is so good on the two islands is about the only place I travel that I would rather snorkel than dive. Good luck.

westfield, nj
Level Contributor
179 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

Thanks very much--those places are all new to me and I will look them up and how to get there.

Dave

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

Waterlemon is hard for a cruiser to get to and back without renting a vehicle. Taxis don't hang out there.

It depends on when you're coming as to how crowded the beaches will be. If you're on Norwegian you must be coming during season when it's likely to be crowded unless you're coming on a Saturday. I think STTResident had a good suggestion with a day sail.

westfield, nj
Level Contributor
179 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

thanks again. Yes, NCL January 9, 8-6. In the past, Sapphire has not been very crowded, so I may save the sails for other islands, although it is tempting.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,846 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

I don't know to which other islands you're going but the sailing here is the best you're likely to find in the Caribbean! The snorkeling off the beaches here is good but there are far better spots to get to by water which aren't accessible from shore. Go for it - you won't be disappointed and it may well be the highlight of your vacation!

9. Re: Snorkeling/scuba advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:17