We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goggle maps or mapquest

New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Goggle maps or mapquest

Can anyone tell me if Google Maps or Mapquest will work on my Verizon I phone? I will rent a GPS if it doesn't. Thanks for all the great advice so far. 1 more week I'm so excited!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

Verizon doesnot have a presence in the USVI. To use data on your Verzion iPhone you will need to be connected to Wi-Fi. So, using maps while moving around won't work because available Wi-Fi connections are hard to find.

Phone calls will cost $1.99 per minute because you will be roaming on loaner towers. However, you will be able to send and receive text messages, without photos, at the same rate as if you are in the upper 48 states.

Rocky Dock

Water Island

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

I really don't think you need to rent a GPS either. Getting around here is very simple!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

Thank you for your your help! I was just concerned about finding restaurants at night on the North side. I did install Viber for phone calls, it does work great! STT, don't answer that man that will remain nameless. You give great advice and he.....!&(? LOL!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

My google map phone GPS did not work on St Thomas and St John last week. Luckily, I installed Sygic GPS which worked great.

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

I'm amazed that folks think they need GPS on such small islands. Use a map, ask for directions. GPS will not work well and Verizon considers the usvi foreign.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

It's funny you should mention that. I thought we needed one for St. Martin and we did fine without one. I think we wanted one because we never drove on the opposite side of the road and it would be like a security blanket. We also read so much about St. Thomas not having great street signs and at night it might be tough. It'll be a new adventure!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

You'll know all the streets after driving around 2 days, BUT having a GPS that first 2 days is really helpful. I got lost from the airport to Red Hook; ended up at Chester Fried Chicken and Coki Beach after an hour driving around which I didn't mind.

8. Re: Goggle maps or mapquest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:17