We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacuuming the jeep?

Boston, MA
12 posts
Save Topic
vacuuming the jeep?

Hi all, We've leaving STT tomorrow after a wonderful week. Realized we need to vacuum out the jeep to avoid the $125 cleaning charge. Can anyone direct us to a place we can do this? Thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

I'll guess someone more in the know will join in if I make a mistake here but I know I've seen vacuums at the car wash alongside the police sub station in Tutu. It;s at the light between the new Walgreen's and Tillett Gardens alongside the Bonjour gas station.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

Jet Lag is correct.

Northof Boston
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

Am I the only one who feels that after paying $700+ to rent a Jeep, we should not be required to clean it before returning it? These rental company owners have chosen to operate a rental business on a beach destination island. Sand is part of the daily life.

We shook out the mats of our Jeep rental last year ( family of 4), and were given a hard time upon returning the Jeep because there was still some sand inside ( NOT excessive). The last thing I want to do on my way to the airport is clean/ vacuum a car.

Thoughts?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

My thoughts are that if it's written into the contract that you return the vehicle free of sand and you sign your agreement to that contract then that's what you do. If the terms don't appeal to you then look for a rental agency which doesn't require it, or negotiate a mutually acceptable cleaning fee before signing the contract and sign accordingly.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

I concur with both stepback and STTR. Next time hire a vehicle elsewhere.

Steve

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

I agree with step, but if you're careful and the car has mats, you shouldn't have a problem.

We rent in Florida all the time and have never had a problem.

Every car should be cleaned and vacuumed when returned anyway.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

Well sometimes it just ain't so. I was in Chicago last week and National gave me the dirtiest rental car I've ever seen. Windows filthy in and out, not vacuumed and as much salt on it as was on the roads. Supposed to be black but looked more like a ghost. No electronic key fob and auto lock button so locking and unlocking the doors was loads of fun.

$150 for what should be part of a normal return is absurd. $25 perhaps for excessive sand or cleaning but c'mon folks, get a grip! Kelly please share with us the name of this greedy outfit so it can be avoided by us folks that occasionally enjoy the beach while on our island vacation.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

Tom, I know where you're coming from. A few years back we rented from St John Car Rental (and we have used them many times) wanted to charge us the "extra cleaning fee" even though we are very careful to knock off/wipe off as much sand as we could everytime we got into it from the beach. We also shook out all the mats before returning it. We finally said we're going to miss our ferry and that if they wanted to charge our CC we would dispute it when we got home. We quickly took pictures of the interior before we left. Never got charged extra for the "sand". It seems to depend on what kind of day/side of the bed, the person is having when you drop it off.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

I'll share a trick learned from a cousin. I keep a gallon of fresh water in the car and top off each morning at the condo. It's nice to have on the rare occasion that I run out of beer but the true reason I carry it is to rinse the feet, lower legs and flip-flops before swinging into the car. Where the snorkel gear goes is another story all together.

Boston, MA
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: vacuuming the jeep?

Hi everyone.

Just got back to Boston, which is the first chance I've had to check back on help regarding vacuuming the Jeep. As it turned out, my brilliant brother (with whom I was traveling), pointed out that both the driver's side and passenger's side of the Jeep had pull-out rubber(ish) mats. In addition, the back storage area also had a large, removable mat. He pulled them out and hosed off all the sand, then wiped them down. Good as new!

I can see both sides of the issue after reading the other posts. Any vehicle in a beach area will get sandy if the users go to the beach. As a renter, I accept the responsibility of treating the rented vehicle as my own while I have it, returning it in reasonable condition. I don't believe it is my responsibility to spiff it up for the next renter. I was glad I didn't have to spend time driving around looking for a gas station with a vacuum! (Thank you little brother!)