We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

I see there is a shopping center around 1 mile from there - how safe is it walking to/from the shopping center (with a Dominos and couple of fast food places) to the hotel. I realize there is nothing much on that road. Just don't want to do anything the locals wont do. Walking there in the daytime is fine - take taxi in the evenings? Or taxi anytime?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

I'd opt to spend $4 on a taxi than walk a mile in the heat, alongside a very busy main road with limited sidewalks ... and definitely wouldn't walk at night!

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

STTResident - Thanks for this information - 1 question - your suggestion to not walk down that road at night is related to problems due to traffic on the road or some other sort of safety issue (not too good people around that area at night)?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

I wouldn't walk it during the day because of the lack of sidewalks and the exhaust from all the traffic - hot, dirty, dusty. And there are very very few places I would walk at night anywhere on the island for the same reasons along with safety concerns. I think once you get here and see the terrain you'll realize why the overwhelming suggestion to visitors is to rent a vehicle with the next best alternative to adjust your budget to accommodate taxi fares.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

There actually is a sidewalk all the way from Emerald Beach to Nisky Center.

I see hotel guests and cruise ship passengers walking every day - it is hot, dirty and dusty for sure but doable - good shoes and not carrying much.

I don't think it is a good idea after dark, probably safe but why chance it on unfamiliar streets.

During the day you can take the 'dollar ride safari trucks' on the main road at the turn to the airport as far as Kmart in Tutu for $1 - they do not run after dusk and do not pass by the Hotel entrance, only on the Harwood Highway.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

What are you hoping to find at that shopping center? It has a Dominoes Pizza, Subway sandwiches, Chinese restaurant mostly for take out, video store, Latin Caribbean restaurant, Radio Shack, eye doctors, convenience store, nail salon, barber, etc. There are also government offices. Not a vacation destination, IMO.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

Thanks for all the responses! I will take a taxi when I want to go there.

Ms411 - yes, my plan was to head to that shopping center for some fast food options for lunch and dinner since it is closest to the Bestwestern. Also getting things from the convenience store.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

Pueblo is just a couple of blocks further along if you want to go to a regular supermarket.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

STTResident - Thanks for this additional information!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

And KFC is across the street from Nisky Center, too. A pharmacy is also just down the block.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Area around Bestwestern Emerald Beach Resort

We have stayed at the Island Beachcomber...right next door to the Emerald Beach, and have walked that walk many times. In fact, it was my morning walk to get in some exercise:) Yes...there are a lot of fumes from the cars and stuff and yes it is very hot....but I'm ok with that while on vacation! I would not walk at night at all. Better to be safe than sorry!