We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

My husband and I each have a free checked bag for our first trip to STT. We weren't planning on checking any bags because we are only going to be in St. Thomas for five days. We are going with some friends who think that liters of alcohol are so much cheaper than in the states that they think we should bring empty checked bags and stock up.

Is it worth the time in $$savings to buy bottles and bring them home with us? I like top shelf vodkas/gin and my husband likes rum/beers.

What do you think?

TiA!!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
895 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

If you buy your liquor at one of the stores downtown, they will put it in a box sealed and ready to check in at the airline going home. No cost to check it. Limit is 6 liters/pp so long as one of them is USVI made. Beer isn't worth it but rum, vodka, gin might be. Familiarize your self with hometown prices before going

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

It's probably the one thing which virtually all visitors take back with them! All the supermarkets carry the 6-pack shipping boxes free of charge and all the supermarkets carry liquor with the best selection and prices at CostULess and Plaza Extra. You can certainly purchase more than the 6-bottle per person duty-free allowance but will pay duty on it (minimal charge) and will pay any additional check-in fees above and beyond the one which is allowed free and your personal baggage allowance. Cheers!

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

We are staying at an All Inclusive. We don't plan on stopping at a grocery or liquor store unless we are going to save a significant amount per bottle. Since I don't know what the cost of bottles of alcohol are in STT, can anyone tell me the average prices of the following so that I can compare to my prices here at home?

Grey Goose

Hendrick's Gin

Kahlua

Bailey's Irish Cream

Grand Marnier

Much appreciated!!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

I won't be going out shopping now until Wednesday but if you can wait until then I'll be happy to check those for you.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

I can't imagine you wouldn't leave whatever property you are staying at during the vacation and stopping at any of our supermarkets, Kmart, CostUless or any of the many stores in Havensight or Charlotte Amalie. You do not have to bring empty suitcases - as mentioned all the liquor selling locations supply sturdy 6 bottle boxes, thousands of cruise ship passengers a week take boxes home.

It will take you 5 minutes to decide if the prices merit carrying a box - the next time I am in any of the supermarkets I will jot down the items you mentioned and post. They are fairly basic premium bar liquors and available in even our neighborhood convenience stores. The biggest savings to be had are in the more expensive Cognacs, Single Malts, Single Barrel Rums and Bourbons or in Baccarat Decanter Liqueurs.

You might scan this list and give them a call about their current pricing as it is a very typical example of the kind of stocking the bigger stores have on hand.

http://www.ahriise.com/SpiritsTobacco.html

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

Thank you STTResident! That would be amazing!

Here's the thing: I am ALL ABOUT convenience. If I am only going to save a total of $20 buying liquor there, it's not worth waiting at the luggage carousel when I return home (we get home at 11:00pm and the last thing I want to do is wait for a checked item to get off the plane). I don't like to check anything! It's nice to know that I won't have to bring an extra bag with me. We aren't big drinkers, but do like to have top shelf when we do. I may buy one bottle of liquor every 6 months. BUT, if I'm going to save $100, then I would love to expand my night cap choices at home! :)

Localsailor: Thank you for the list! I will check it out. This might just give me a reason to try some scotch/whisky brands that I was reluctant to pay for here at home!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

We travel very lightly, to avoid waiting at a carousel. On the return trip, we have no trouble getting four to six bottles (each) into our carry-on luggage.

The one downside to this tactic is that because of TSA regs, we are forced to make our purchases at Caribbean Host--the store at the airport. Needless to say, it is the most expensive place on the island, and their selection is relatively small. Incidentally the last time we traveled (about two weeks ago) I was pleasantly surprised to see that they carried Zubrowka vodka.

The last time I bought Grand Marnier, it was at A.H. Reiss, and they had a variety

The last time I bought Grand Marnier, it was at A. H. Reiss, and they had a variety in a bottle with a black and gold label that was ten dollars bottle. and much, much better than the common "cordon rouge" variety that was three-fifty a bottle. I bought three bottles, and the big problem is the stuff is too good to drink. I'm still working on the first bottle !

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

spicytuna, here are today's prices from CostULess:

Grey Goose 29.99/liter

Hendrick's 23.99/1.75 ml

Kahlua 14.99/L

Baileys 16.49/L

G Marnier 29.99/L

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

STTR, YOU ARE A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Thank you for the list! I am on my way to see what our local prices are!

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of Bottles of Alcohol compared to States

SpicyTuna74 - keep in mind - most of the prices above are for 1 liter bottles, whereas you will likely be seeing 750ml bottles locally. I can tell without even looking that you will save on each and every bottle (but not likely the $100 you mentioned earlier).