We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

Hello! We are staying at Frenchman's Reef in August and want to explore the BVI's. Jost and Soggy Dollar, baths at Virgin Gorda, Tortola, all the basics. Our problem with the ferries is that once you're dropped, you're in that one spot all day. We really wanted to bounce around. And while the charters look great for larger groups, they just seem too expensive for only one couple. Even the water taxis that I've researched have 5 person minimums.

Can anyone recommend a water taxi or smaller boat charter that offers a more reasonable price tag for only 2 people? Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated!

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

Stormy Petrel - it was several years ago that we spent the day with them, but my recollection is 12 people max on the boat. Our itinerary included VG/Baths, lunch on Cooper Island, and a snorkel at the Caves. I believe they also have an itinerary that includes JVD.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,248 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

I don't think you'll find a charter which will include both VG and JVD as distance and time aren't compatible. There are no water taxi trips or charter excursions which will cost less than those you've already looked at and the most cost effective way to do it is to take the ferries. On VG and JVD it's easy and inexpensive to see what there is to see there by taxi as they're very small islands but if you really wanted to look around Tortola the best bet would be to rent a car there. Frankly, if this is your first time visiting the islands there is tons to do between St Thomas and St John and many visitors return several times before even thinking of heading over to the BVI!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

Thanks for the replies. We've actually been to St Thomas and St John several times but have never ventured any further than that. The Baths and a painkiller at Soggy Dollar have always been "bucket list" things for us so those are our priorities.

Stormy Petrel actually looks like it might be a great option. I'm not sure the cost yet but I have contacted them and inquired. Thanks for that recommendation, Ed. If anyone knows of any similar tours to that, it would be great.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

I met some folks yesterday who had just come off a 'Bad Kitty' trip - they told me they were at the Baths, The Caves on Norman Is., had lunch on Cooper Is. and last stop had a drink at White Bay JVD.

They enjoyed it, felt somewhat rushed, but had expected that with such a full itinerary and complimented the vessel and crew for a fine day. They did comment that the crew said it was a very flat day at sea and that trip is not always possible. They were completely tired and ready for a shower and nap though.

I am not sure where the vessel cruise originates -- they were staying at Frenchmans Reef.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

I found the site that details the particular trip I referenced above:

http://www.calypsovi.com/baths.html

the cost is $190 plus lunch cost and JVD shore drinks and a gratuity - I don't think you will find a small private vessel that can do that trip for any less money.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,492 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

Yes Bad Kitty (and others) hit Spanishtown, VG, Norman Caves or the Indians for a snorkel, Pirates Bight on Norman, Cooper Island Restaurant, or the Willie T for lunch, and a stop in White Bay, Jost. Some may hit Marina Cay on Tortola for lunch, but other than taking a private excursion or a ferry you won't get any time on Tortola.

Sounds to me like you need to look at staying in the BVI this trip! Tortola is an ideal spot from which to explore 6 of the BVI islands by ferry or daysail and you can get excellent help on lodgings, etc on the Tortola forum on TA and especially on the BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

We've used Dohm's water taxi service for getting to several places in the BVI from St. Thomas and from St. John. We've always been happy with their service. We've always traveled with 4 people on these trips.

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
587 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

Have you looked at new horizons out of sapphire marina? We did a group trip with them for about $150 per person that went to the baths, a snorkeling spot, lunch at marina cay (at your own expense) and our favorite stop at soggy dollar. It was a lot in one day, but an awesome trip. Didn't feel rushed, even though we did a lot. Next time I would like more time at soggy, but glad we saw the baths once. The baths are the farthest, so takes longer to get there. Daydreamer out of sugar bay also has a trip with snorkeling, lunch at foxys and time at soggy. If you want to skip the baths. It is around $125 per person. Much more affordable than chartering a boat, unless you have more people to split it with. I've been looking into chartering a boat so we can go where we want (sandy cay, Willie T, soggy) but they are at least $500, plus fuel (about $200) and captain fee (about $150). So that's about $850 - where we could go on daydreamer for $375 for our family of 3. Of course all of them you shill have to pay your own customs fees and lunch. We don't mind being on a group trip with others, so the only plus for chartering a boat would be getting to pick where you go. We really enjoyed meeting other people on the previous trip we took. I think it would be a little boring on a boat by ourselves- lol. Now, if we ever had a group and could split the cost, a charter would be a blast.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

I did look at New Horizons. My concern with their reviews is several people commented on feeling rushed. I guess that is a lot to cram into one day. The reviews I've read on Stormy Petrel seemed better. Everyone seemed to love the smaller group 8-12 people and no one said they felt rushed. That's the way we're leaning right now.

I do agree with you on a charter, though. I did the math several different ways and just couldn't justify spending that much on just the 2 of us. I think the advantages are picking your own stops and also deciding how long you stay at each. We're really excited about Jost and I'm worried we won't get enough time there. I'd probably opt for the charter if we had a bigger group but I think Stormy is going to be an excellent backup plan. And if we really love Jost, we can always take the ferry back for a full day later in our trip.

10. Re: Water taxi or boat charter to BVI's for only 2 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:15