We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time To St. Thomas

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Time To St. Thomas

Were going there at the end of July and so far we only have snorkeling booked. We really wanted to do fishing but it all looks so expensive! Can anyone else recommend any activities that's good for a couple to do? We'll be there a full week.

Thanks!!!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

There is a Zip Line, horseback riding, 20 minute ferry ride for a day trip to St John, ferry or take a charter to the BVI (passport required for BVI).

Are you renting a car? Taxis charge per person and add up quick.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

We haven't made a decision weather or not to rent a car...1/2 people say don't and others say do so I have no idea which route to go.

Thanks! We plan going to St. Johns for a day :) && we'd love to go to the BVI but both don't have passports.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

Have you checked out the cost of renting a compact car? If you want to leave the hotel for dinner, the minimum charge will be $5pp each way + tip. STT is not a walkable island unless you are staying right in Charlotte Amalie.

If you are staying on the east end, the taxi ride from and back to the airport will be about $15pp + $2 (or 2.50) per bag + tip. So you're already looking at around $40 just to get to your hotel, then another $40 to get back. You can also take your car on the car barge over to St John for the day (as long as you don't rent it from Hertz). You can explore and check out several beaches. It's impossible to get lost on STJ.

As you can see, I'm in the camp of 'rent a car'.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

You can go fishing on the shore for about $25 or from a kayak for about $80, I think. Check activeisland.com, but get a transportation quote before you book if not renting a vehicle.

Which snorkel trip do you have planned?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

Thanks! I'll have to do some more looking into. Were staying at Crystal Cove which I believe is in the East End

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

Thanks!! We have the St. Thomas Scuba and Snorkel Adventures booked while were there.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

Sorry just one more question how much is gas prices out there if we rent a car

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

Sorry just one more question how much is gas prices out there if we rent a car

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

Gas is expensive but will only have to filler up once imagine as it's a small island.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time To St. Thomas

I am headed to St. Thomas on 6/25. I called our hotel and asked about rental cars (we are staying about 8 miles from the airport) vs. taxis. They recommended just taking a taxi to the hotel on day one, and they offered to help with arranging a rental car the following day. I was told there are places to rent cars on our end of the island.

I kind of like to get my bearings in a new city before I have to drive there----especially when I'll be driving on the opposite side of the road. We did this on another trip in the past in the Caymans and it worked out well. We are arriving late afternoon and probably won't venture out from our hotel that day after we arrive, just hit the beach and their restaurant and start exploring a bit the following day.

So it doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or thing. Just a suggestion.