We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Top

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Top

What is the best time to go to Mountain Top? Don't want it to be too crowded, so planning on visiting when no cruise ships are in town. But wanted to know when the less busy time is.

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
953 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Top

We were there about 6 weeks ago around 10 am and there were about 5 other people in the store. It's a huge store. It's quite a ride up there but the view is great.

Mountain Home...
Level Contributor
264 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Top

We went when there was 2 ships in port and it wasnt really crowded but i think we got there about 9 am so we may have beat then all there or they all hit the beaches that day.

www.youtube.com/user/BUZZARDROOST5015/videos…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Top

I've never seen Mountain Top crowded. While it's an attraction, it is off the beaten track. Fantastic views, though! :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Top

Thank you, we will get there early. Last 2 times I was there we got there around 12 and it was packed. 15 mins to get a drink, outside area loaded with tons of people. We must have just hit the busy days/time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Top

That's different, takemeaway,

We always found it quite *deserted* and I'd think -- how do all these shops make money?

Maybe management has made a deal with cruise ship companies. In that case, look for days when there is no more than one ship in port at most.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Top

It gets crowded when the tour groups stop in, otherwise not bad.

I would actually recommend a stop at Drake's Seat for the magnificient view of Magens Bay, and then hit Paradise Point for your lunch stop with a cold drink and excellent views of the harbor. The new version of MT isn't nearly as charming as the original that burned down in May of 2009. Just a thought...

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain Top

We went on a day when three ships were in a couple weeks ago and we arrived around 10am. Shortly after the taxis started showing up and before we knew it the place was packed. Getting a pic overlooking Megens Bay was difficult since most people didn't seem to understand common sense ediquette.

Mike in Tulsa

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain Top

thank you for your suggestion on Drake's seat, we did want to go there too. I have read that it cost $22 pp to get up to Paradise Point. While this was on my schedule of things to do, after hearing this I'm not sure if it would be worth $132 dollars to get us all up there.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain Top

When you mention $22/person I assume you are talking about taking the tram. You can drive up to PP and it doesn't cost anything

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mountain Top

Yes I had assumed you were driving and as Bill said you can drive up and avoid the fee for the aerial tram. Just a nice spot to enjoy the view, and there's a small cafe there if you want a bite or a drink. I also read that the ""Bird Lady" has her show back there and that's a fun show for free.