We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could pick one beach...

tampa
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
If you could pick one beach...

Which one would it be? And how would you travel to get there? We are stopping via cruise ship and the prices thru the boat are expensive. Looks like the professional photography shows very beautiful, turquois waters in St. Thomas, but in the tourist photos that emerald color is not as prevalent. Wondering if the professional photos are doctored.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could pick one beach...

I think you will find the water more like the professional photos, most beaches are beautiful.

You will want to take a taxi to the beach figure around $10 per person depending on which beach you go to and where you doc.

As to which beach to choose it depends on what you want. Do you want food and drink, snorkeling, sun, shade, smooth water, light surf etc.

Let us know and we will do our best to answer.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could pick one beach...

Emeralds are green. Our waters are mostly blue. Photos vary depending on time of day, clouds, camera, photographer, angle, etc.

The ship excursions usually offer extras that you'll pay for a la carte if you book on your own. The ship tours include transportation to the activity, usually some type of refreshment, and narration.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could pick one beach...

Back when cameras were only using film I took a roll to a one hour kiosk in the states - all the pictures were from sailing here in the Virgins - when I sat down and looked at them the Caribbean waters were really gray and colorless - I thought I had probably damaged the film, maybe in an Xray at the airport traveling - the young lady in the kiosk saw my disappointment and asked if something was wrong - I explained and she pulled out an envelope with beautiful blue green water in all the photos and apologized - she had never seen water that color and changed the developer settings - she thought she had done it wrong the 1st time and said - "I want to go there!"

My favorite beach here for a one time visit is Smith Bay Park - but it offers few amenities and no food or drink options.

Go to Magens Bay, if you rent chairs drag them as far away from the crowds as you can and enjoy a spectacular beach day!

tampa
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could pick one beach...

Thanks! I was worried that the waters would be dark, but after reading your comments, I am very excited to see them in person. I was hoping to get some relaxation in the shade.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could pick one beach...

Magens Bay has a lot of beachfront picnic tables in the trees fringing the beach - lots of shade to retreat to.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,203 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could pick one beach...

For a naturally beautiful with no amenities Smith Bay Park. For a beach with amenities our choice would be Sapphire Beach on the East End, abundant natural shade, gorgeous sapphire-colored water, and nice island views. Just oozes character...

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could pick one beach...

I put together a blog of the beaches and snorkeling there on St. Thomas from last Nov. Weather wasn't the greatest, but I was still able to get some really nice pictures.

…blogspot.com/2014/08/beaches-and-snorkeling…

(diclaimer---I am a professional sports photographer, but I edited the pictures to be as realistic as I could make them)

Edited: 17 August 2014, 22:33
8. Re: If you could pick one beach...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16