We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal planning

Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Meal planning

We are headed to St. Thomas and staying in a condo at Sapphire beach. We are planning to cook about half of our own meals at our condo. I'd rather not spend a lot of time walking around the grocery looking to build a menu, but I'm worried that if we go with a general shopping list and menu plan, we may have trouble finding items. For example, we want to cook easy things like tacos, but can we find taco shells and salsa at a grocery store on the island? Or if we wanted to do basic stir fry, can we find soy sauce?

If you have easy go to stuff that you cook while on the island, throw it out.

1. Re: Meal planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 21:37
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal planning

You will have no problems finding those (or almost any) items at the grocery stores. When we go with others, we cook most of our dinners at the villa. I plan the menu before the trip. I pack small amounts of herbs & spices in little baggies that I know I will need. I don't want to have to buy a bottle/jar when I only need 1 Tbsp or 1 tsp. I also take small bottles of olive oil and vinegar and envelope(s) of marinade (you can find these on island, but it's just as easy for me to pack them). Ziplock bags in different sizes. You'll want to keep your snacks, once opened, in a ziplock. Keeps them from getting stale immediately and keeps ants out. Keep your bread in the refrig.

We make easy things like grilled chicken, steaks, fish and pork tenderloin. We make extra chicken so I can make chicken salad for lunch the next day.

I also make and take a gallon size Ziplock with homemade trial mix. It's a nice snack on the plane and on the beach.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal planning

I eat a light breakfast and prepare lunch at the condo.

Dinners I take half in and half out and since both of us cook we don't always look for easy.

Sometimes easy is bring it back to the condo

I don't eat fried chicken . . . . . except when I am in St Thomas . . Chester Fried in Smith Bay or Bonjour Gas in Tutu and other spots too. .

Island Time Pub for pizza , , , , 1 mile from Sapphire.

Off the Grid, smoked meats . . . up the hill at the Sapphire entrance. Limited hours during he off season.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal planning

Go by Plaza Extra in the Tutu Park Mall, about a 10 minute drive from Sapphire. They have everything you need plus a big area devoted entirely to taco stuff! They have the rotisserie chickens - I'm not sure who the "almost everyone here" is who lives on them but I've had a couple since they first appeared a few years ago and they're not bad!

5. Re: Meal planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 07:15