We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

Indiana
Level Contributor
126 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

Just returned from St Thomas. I highly recommend Dean Chinnery. 340-643-7211 or dean_chinnery1@msn.com. We could not have asked for a better experience. He was waiting for us outside the gates when we got off the ship, holding a sign with our name. He gave us a private island tour in his very nice air conditioned van and took us exactly where WE wanted to go. Afterwards he dropped us off at the beach of our choice and returned promptly at the agreed upon time to pick us up. I had emailed him ahead of time, he was quick to respond to my request. He was very professional, his prices are very reasonable and he is genuinely a nice guy. We couldn't have asked for a better driver or a better experience.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
CaribbaConnect
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Day Trips
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

Where did you go?

Indiana
Level Contributor
126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

What I liked best about the tour was it was SPECIFIC TO US. We told him we were not interested in shopping, or the typical "touristy" stops that most of the other tours/ taxi services offered. We wanted to see more of how the locals live. For instance we wanted to see a local grocery store, school and hospital, things like this. He also took us to several scenic overlooks, a short stop at Mountain Top for souvenirs, a banana daiquiri and the gorgeous view and by several beautiful beaches before dropping us off at Sapphire Beach, which again was OUR CHIOCE and was pre arranged with him. He promptly returned to pick us up at the designated time and place and had the air running so the van was nice and cool for us which was so refreshing after being in the hot sun all day. He was very knowledgeable about the island and answered all of our questions. He seemed to really love the island and enjoyed showing and sharing his island with us. Again it was all about what WE wanted to do, which I understand is not always the norm after talking to some of our fellow cruisers who didn't have the same positive experience that we did. We feel very lucky to have met him!

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,620 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

You didn't mention that he took you to a school or the hospital. You mentioned the same places all the taxi drivers go to. Most of the tours drive by a school and can pass the hospital.

You're not giving enough details to help others make an informed decision, imo.

Indiana
Level Contributor
126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

If you or others have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I'm sure other drivers do take you to the same places Mr. Chinnery took us to and other drivers who provide the same services that Mr Chinnery provides. However, I am writing only about my experience and how pleased I was with my experience with this particular driver. I contacted several other taxi/ driver services and they had a preset tour with other people who wanted their taxis full before leaving on a tour. The tours included a period of time specifically for shopping (which we weren't interested in) and "majority rules" for the beach that you were taken to (again wouldn't work for us as we had a specific beach in mind) There is nothing wrong with this, it's just not what we were looking for. I'm just your average traveler who is trying to write a post that I feel may be helpful to a fellow traveler.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

I have contacted Mr. Chinnery about a tour and he was very prompt to reply. I just emailed him some more questions, and will probably book with him based on your review.

Did you actually get to go to a school and hospital and such? We are also interested in how the local people live, along with seeing some of the touristy stuff. My daughter (13 yrs old) wants to do something for the local children (take some small toys, coloring books, etc). Did you encounter a lot of locals on your tour or go to places where there would've been an opportunity to do this without it seeming weird?

Did you go snorkeling at Sapphire Beach or do you know if it is a good place to snorkel?

Did you pay him ahead of time or when you got there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,620 Reviews
St. Thomas
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

I have contacted Mr. Chinnery about a tour and he was very prompt to reply. I just emailed him some more questions, and will probably book with him based on your review.

Did you actually get to go to a school and hospital and such? We are also interested in how the local people live, along with seeing some of the touristy stuff. My daughter (13 yrs old) wants to do something for the local children (take some small toys, coloring books, etc). Did you encounter a lot of locals on your tour or go to places where there would've been an opportunity to do this without it seeming weird?

Did you go snorkeling at Sapphire Beach or do you know if it is a good place to snorkel?

Did you pay him ahead of time or when you got there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,620 Reviews
St. Thomas
Indiana
Level Contributor
126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

We did not go into the hospital or school, but I'm sure if you ask Dean he will be able to help you arrange delivery to the local children. He was very accommodating to our requests. We did snorkel at Sapphire beach, it was ok.... had to go out kind of far to see anything. Probably not the best choice of beaches for snorkeling. We chose Sapphire beach because we wanted someplace quiet, uncrowded, with plenty of shade and not real touristy. It is a laid back beach with timeshares/condos, a little snack shop with snorkel and chair rental. There is some construction going on but it didn't affect our day. Again maybe not everyone's choice of beach but we enjoyed our day. I chose it based on the reviews I read on Cruise Critic and on here.

Dean picked us up at the cruise terminal, we did a short island tour, he dropped us off at Sapphire beach, returned to pick us up at the agreed upon time then dropped us at the terminal, which is when we paid him. I did discuss fees and payment with him ahead of time. Hope this helps :)

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,620 Reviews
St. Thomas
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

Thanks so much. He has been very prompt with answering my questions, and I can't believe what good rates he has for a private tour. I booked him this afternoon and am looking forward to his tour.

Indiana
Level Contributor
126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

I hope your experience is as good as ours was. I also booked him based on a review I saw on here. Have a great time. St Thomas is absolutely gorgeous!

Edited: 13 September 2014, 02:40
Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
10. Re: Dean Chinnery Driver/ Taxi service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2015, 06:16