We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report August 2014

new hampshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report August 2014

We spent a week in St Thomas, renting a 3 bedroom condo at Watergate Villas. The condo was great, rented on vrbo from Leah and Scott Browning. I will post a condo review under Watergate Villas here on TA. Our location on Bolongo Bay was central to everything. The beach at Bolongo is just OK but so many beaches here are great!! I'm definitely glad we rented a car as We explored every day and the rental gave us freedom! We went to many different beaches and swam and snorkeled. It's hard to pick a favorite but Trunk Bay in St John was breathtaking. I would definitely recommend you get groceries at Cost U Less and stay away from Plaza Easy- it was gross! Food Center was much cleaner. We liked the Greenhouse for lunch, happy hour or dinner and Banana Deck in St John. Iggys was fun too. We definitely felt disdain from some of the islanders..not many smiles, hellos, pleases and thank yous. Some folks were nice though! The island is very run down and there's a lot of trash and broken down cars and ramshackle houses. It's a shame it's not cleaner! The beaches make this destination attractive and we did have a wonderful, relaxing vacation!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report August 2014

Thanks for posting. Bolongo isn't in a very attractive area. The northside, where few tourists go, is much cleaner with more attractive houses.

Hopefully you'll return!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report August 2014

We snorkeled Bolongo Bay one time when we were there last Nov. and found views from the bay rather attractive. The water was a bit murky and grassy, but it is the only place we saw a turtle since they like eating the grass.

3. Re: Trip Report August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 17:34
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
116 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report August 2014

And yet, you and I and so many others feel compelled to return again and again. Whatever else, there is something magical about this island.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report August 2014

Absolutely!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report August 2014

Maybe Im in the minority, but I pay very little attention to the rusted cars, etc unless they somehow impeed my vacation. Its like going to Yankee stadium, the currounding area is certainly nothing to write home about, but once your in that stadium its pardise.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report August 2014

yes, we were saying they should have an initiative where the islanders can earn some small $ for turning in trash...an incentive to clean things up!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report August 2014

meggiet, who is "they"? Several non profits sponsor clean ups several times a year - there's one today and they're doing it for free. St Thomas has so many people who think they should be able to do whatever they want so there are many people who pay no attention to laws and rules. Others shouldn't have to clean up their trash, and even when we do, there is more trash than resources to control it.

It's really infuriating.

Colorado
Level Contributor
998 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report August 2014

It's what happens when people get too much for nothing, no pride or self respect.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report August 2014

I was also in St. Thomas this August, and also found the people to be completely rude and unpleasant to be around. The island is definitely overdeveloped, and we did not find it to be appealing at all.