We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STT for a vacation /PMV?

NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
STT for a vacation /PMV?

We want to come to STT for a pre move vist, as we are concidering moving there permenantly, but also want a semi vacation / accomodations.

This trip will be for 7-8 days and besides looking at realestate, rental properties, and buisness oportunities, we would also like to see the the Island along with STJ, and take a day trip to the BVI's. We dont need a 5* resort, and plan on moving around quite a lot and renting a jeep, so we thought a hotel or condo or b & b would surfice. But at the same time will be spending 1 or 2 days resting at the property, pref. with a beach....

Any recomendations?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STT for a vacation /PMV?

Secret Harbour has a nice beach and large accomodations with kitchenettes, which are handy. Not a five-star, but good value for $.

Point Pleasant also has roomy accomodations with kitchenettes, but the condos are built on cliffside and there is no beach to speak of. Guests do use the beach of the hotel (now closed) next door, but it's not the prettiest in the islands.

A cheap way to go would be the Mafolie, an old hotel with breakfast included and a million dollar view. Set high on the mountainside, it still only takes about 10 minutes to get down to town on one side and to Magens Bay Beach on the other and the hotel runs a free shuttle each day to the beach and back.

Are you considering moving to STT permanently without ever having been to the island? Spend as much time as you can on your visit. And by all means check out this site: www.vimovingcenter.com. It will provide you with an inordinate amount of info about finances, apartment hunting, shipping furniture and car, taxes and fees, etc. Be sure to click on "What to Expect" and read the stories of others who have made the move. You will find a wealth of information to help you along.

NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STT for a vacation /PMV?

Thanks kz, secret harbor seems nice enough, and i will ck out Mafolie, is this a safe area? this is the northside correct? also concidered the nicest side of STT? This will be the PMV as I have not been to STT b4, except for once in route to STJ. Also i know the link which you provided and it has been a huge part of my researching the USVI's for over 2yrs now! I have read prob everything i could get my hands on, bought books maps etc and are ready for a serious PMV.....the only thing that gives us any doubts or "red flags" , is the crime stories we constanly hear.....Thanks

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: STT for a vacation /PMV?

Crime IS a problem, according to the stats. I've been going to St. Thomas for more than 25 years, however, and have never had a problem. BUT I must say that I have always stuck to the tourist areas during the day -- the resorts and beaches and the main shopping areas. And I never roam around anywhere after dark. If we do not eat at the resort, we always get a taxi from door to door -- and I mean that literally.

From what I hear from locals STT is much like other places. There are streets and neighborhoods to avoid, primarily because of drugs and drug-related crime, and it's a matter of living in a place for awhile and getting to know these areas.

The Mafolie area is fine during the day, but like every other area, if I went out at night I would definitely take a taxi to and fro.

St. John is quieter, fewer people, and, therefore, less crime. Ditto for the BVIs. It all depends what you're looking for. My suggestion: make friends with a couple of the taxi drivers during your visit; they have a wealth of information about every inch of the island and are usually willing to share, especially if they know you are considering a move. Good luck!

4. Re: STT for a vacation /PMV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 23:17