We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Thomas car rental - ferry problem

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
10 posts
Save Topic
St. Thomas car rental - ferry problem

We are going to St. Thomas and staying at Marriott Frenchman's Cove. I was about to give the charge card # to Hertz for a week in August, when she told me there is $1,000. fine to take a rental car to ANY other island.... it is prohibited to use the ferry.!!! I have been reading all the forums as to where to go or what to do when we get there.... is this something new??? What is your suggestions on taxi if we did go via a taxi?? Our passports have not come back for a renewal since sending them in Jan., so not sure if islands are available, also, will there be an overall problem at airport?

HELP

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: St. Thomas car rental - ferry problem

We just got back yesterday. I must say that, for us, it is definitely cheaper to take the car on the ferry (there are 4 of us and taxis charge per person). We actually stayed on STJ for a week and then on STT for the 2nd week so it just makes more sense. If you do go to St. John, take the north shore road and just visit the beaches. We like Cinnamon and Maho Bays, Trunk is beautiful but more crowded. St. Thomas has plenty to do and see as well, relax and enjoy your trip.

I wouldn't worry with food for 5 days. There are several good grocery stores for you to buy what you need, Cost U Less and Marina Market are where we usually go since we stay on the east end.

12. Re: St. Thomas car rental - ferry problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie