We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

North Carolina
4 posts
Save Topic
Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

My husband and I are planning a short trip for our 20th anniversary in Jan. Trying to decide between the Westin on St John or the Marriott on St Thomas.

We have member points for both. I have read reviews on both. The Westin got a lot of very mixed reviews mainly due to hotel in need of major overhaul and usually a lot of children (nothing against children...just that we are leaving ours at home for our anniversay :-)). Marriott seemed to get better reviews.

I've read if you stay on St Thomas you must do a day trip to St John for the beaches/snorkeling. I guess that's why we are considering St John. Other than that (and not to be taken for granted...the magnificant beauty) is there much to do on the island? Is there more to do at St. Thomas since it is larger?

We are very adventurous and love to hike, jetski, snorkel, sail, sightsee and enjoy nightlife including dancing. Unfortunately, my husband usually has enough of the beach by early afternoon; sunburned and bored if there is no surf to bodysurf.

We will definately get a car for either island we choose so we can go exploring.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Green House
Dance Clubs & Discos
Bones Rum
Bars & Clubs, Gift & Speciality Shops
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

Depending on when in January you might not have as many kids as you think you might have. For hiking you're better off on St. John. The rest can be done on both islands. Check the links on the left side of the forums for St. John as well as St. Thomas.

boston
Level Contributor
607 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

Your husband might be bored on St. John; mine would be, for sure, as he also is not a beach bum like me. I would be happy on St. John, but I do feel there is more to do activity wise on St. Thomas. As for body surfing, I do, and there have never been any waves in March or November when we've been there, but I have heard of large swells on the North Shore areas on both islands- probably depends on the season. When we stay on St. Thomas, we always take one day to visit another island. The last few years, we've alternated between St. John and Jost Van Dyke. You will also have more of a choice of restaurants in St. Thmoas, if that matters to you. If you choose St. Thomas, I would recommend the Morningstar section of the Marriott as you can walk right onto the beach from your room. I have been to the Westin in St. John, and the beach is not that good, especially compared to the other beaches on the island. Have a great getaway!

North Carolina
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your input.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

The calm Caribbean in the Virgins is not generally a place to go if your thing is body surfing...the draw of these islands is the calm, clear, blue water with great snorkeling and diving. Lots of wave activity stirs up the water and reduces visibility. The lack of such activity is why the snorkeling and diving are so good!!

If you like a lot of activity, you will definitely be happier in St. Thomas. Romantics, nature lovers, and those who like privacy and simple pleasures (hiking, lounging on the beach, floating with the fish, etc.) will enjoy the "away from it all" atmosphere of St. John.

North Carolina
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

Some day we will visit both of these beautfiful islands when we want to just relax and snorkel however, we are looking for something more adventurous. We have scrapped the idea and have booked a trip to Costa Rica. I think we will find more activities. We're going to try our hand at surfing and zip lining!

Thank you so much for all of your tips. Now we have all the scoop for when we do eventually go.

6. Re: Westin @ St. John or Marriott @ Frenchman's Reef St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 06:33
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie