We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

solana beach ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

I am visiting St Thomas for only 2 nights in November. I am traveling with my 85yr old father to see the old synagogue. We are looking for a reasonable place to stay without a million stairs and centrally located. It does not need to be on the beach. Any suggestions? I like the thought of a bed and breakfast in Charlotte Amalie but many seem to have too many stairs. He can walk but not very far or long distances.

thanks

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

I don't know about stairs at either of the two I will recommend so do ask, but the two that get fantastic reviews are...........

The Crystal Palace - www.crystalpalaceusvi.com

and

At Home In The Tropics - www.athomeinthetropics.com

Pia

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

Ron who owns Crystal Palace is the President of the St Thomas Historical Trust, Crystal Palace is filled with history and I couldn't recommend any better place for your Dad's visit. Take a look at the website and then contact Ron directly - he's an excellent host and very much enjoys sharing his knowledge with those interested in local history. Cheers!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

The only lodging in town that doesn't have stairs and is on flat ground is the Windward Passage Hotel. They also have a restaurant on-site. The Crystal Palace is a lovely property, but it is up the hill from the synagogue, and very few people enjoy walking up/down that hill even though it's a short distance.

You could have a small taxi take you to the synagogue, wait for you, and then bring you back to the hotel. There are a few steps at the synagogue.

The Windward Passage has been reviewed on TA, but it's recently been upgraded, and is no longer a Holiday Inn. They have their own website, and you can view the rooms.

solana beach ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

thank you for the suggestion of Windward Passage. I looked online and they are having a special rate of 110.00 right now. So I called them and reserved.

I think for our needs that is better than the other two bed and breakfast places with shared bathrooms.

thanks again

solana beach ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

thanks for suggesti0ons but after looking at them, one has stairs and shared bathrooms and the other is too much money but I appreciate the help.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

My top floor room has a private bath. There are seven stairs into the B & B. Your trip to the synagogue will include steps or a hill to get there. It would be advised to cab it. One if the cabbies I use and recommend is a member of the synagogue. Hope all goes well. Ask any questions if you care.

R

(Crystal Palace)

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,766 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

You're welcome! Have a wonderful stay, and please post your comments about the Windward Passage Hotel. Friends ask me all the time, and I can't really say, because I haven't stayed there.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

For future info, At Home in the Tropics is a wonderful place to stay, but it does have lots of steps if you choose to walk down to town. However, the street behind the B&B is only 7 or 8 steps up and the house itself is all level. So, if you get a taxi to come and go, there would be no problem.

9. Re: bed and breakfast or hotel in charlotte amalie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 05:34