We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon location??

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon location??

Hi

My fiancee and i are visiting St Thomas for the first time for our honeymoon...staying at Marriott Frenchman's Reef (which is believe will be newly renovated by that time)...Should we be concerned about the weather since we're going at the end of hurricane season?? Travel dates are 10/29-11/5. And any other suggestions on things to do, local food etc would be appreciated. :)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon location??

You're probably okay going end of October, but there are never any guarantees with weather. You can find many things to do by searching this forum, and it would be easier to advise is other posters knew your interests. Possibilities...shopping in Charlotte Amalie, sight-seeing historic places and/or a trip around the island, snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing, day trips to St. John, Water Island, and/or the BVI, checking out the view from Mountain Top or Paradise Point, seeing the critters at Coral World, enjoying a frozen concoction at Udder Delite...lots of stuff to do, so it depends on your interests.

Local food...try Cuzzins in town. The one thing I would do: a day trip to St. John with a drive to some of the beautiful north shore beaches.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon location??

Thanks for your response...we're insterested in all of the above :) Water related activities not my forte since i can't swim but my hubby will be interested. I've heard there's a cable car ride on the island, definitely want to do that and try the local food. Was also thinking about taking the ferry to St. John for a day but will we need a car once we get there to get around??

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon location??

The cable car is the Paradise Point tram AKA skyride. You should definitely go their Wed night sunset party starting at around 5 p.m. Great band and usually a good mix of locals and tourists. It's magical up there at night. Hmmm, I should post my photos...

Let me do that now, and I'll post the link later.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon location??

I have some great photos too. Paradise Point at sunset is amazing. Not to be missed.

How do you post photos on here?

Seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon location??

I stayed at Frenchman's two years ago when I first went to the Virgin Islands. It was being renovated at the time and it was still decent even then. I would really suggest going to St John for a day. I was just there a month ago for my wedding and I prefer it over St Thomas. It's a whole different world on St John. You can catch a cab to Cinnamon Beach or Trunk Bay once you arrive at the ferry dock on St John. Cabs are always waiting right there. There's also a shopping area right around you when you arrive at the ferry dock. If you don't mind driving on the left side of the road on some switchbacks then I would rent a jeep for the day so you can get around the island. It's better to see it for yourself and then you can choose wherever you want to go.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
602 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon location??

There's a lot of information to be found on this forum for things to do, places to eat at, day trips, etc. I always recommend reading other people's trip reports - see what they've done that sounds like fun, make a note of it and then research it. The first time we went we a.) didn't plan anything ahead of time and b.) didn't rent a car. Our trips now we a.) don't really plan much before we go - maybe a day trip on a boat and b.) rent a car - we get up ever day and see where we end up.

DH finds driving there to be fairly easy, except for negotiating right hand turns in a busy intersection - he has to think about those. He drives, I navigate and it works pretty well. We've been there enough now, that we're pretty familiar with which roads lead where, and rarely use a map now. (Just don't ask me for directions!)

Rent a jeep - take it to STJ for a day or two and visit some of the beaches. Take the passenger ferry over one night and have dinner and stroll around Cruz Bay, stopping for various beverages along the way. Spend a day at Sapphire on STT, snorkeling, lounging, etc. Consider booking a sunset dinner cruise and watch the sun drop into the ocean from the deck of a sail boat. Maybe book a day sail over to some of the secluded STJ beaches, etc.

There is so much to see and do - you can drive yourself crazy trying to plan before you go. Just make a note of some of the things that sound like fun - book what you really want to do before you go (or let the resort do it for you), otherwise, get up in the mornings and see where the day takes you.

I can't swim either. DH says I "swim like a rock" because I sink if I try to swim. However, I mastered the basics of snorkeling while I was in STT the first time. For me, snorkeling from a boat is easier than snorkeling from shore - but I enjoy doing both now. If you can float - chances are you can snorkel. DH dives down to the bottom and gets the pictures...I stay on the surface. It works. As a non swimmer, (and previously terrified of the ocean), we took a day sail/snorkeling trip to STJ on our first trip. Once I learned how to breathe through the snorkel tube and use my fins to propel me - I was unstopable. Swam from the boat to Honeymoon Beach on STJ (not that it was really all that far), walked along the beach and swam/snorkeled back. Everyone's different - but don't be afraid to try it. Use a noodle or a floatation device if you're worried, but stay in shallow water - and try snorkeling off Sapphire - you might suprise yourself. Make sure hubby stays close though. :)

Our favorite restaurants - for a fun night out - Molley Mallone's in Red Hook. Fun Irish Pub. Favorite dinner - Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbor. I understand it is or will be under new ownership so I hope things don't change too much. Fantastic wine selection - the wine list is greater than their food menu. We've hardly been a lot of places - and we stay on the East End so we tend to favor Red Hook over Chralotte Amalie.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon location??

itsconnie, please post your Paradise Point photos! Go to your profile, and I think it's somewhere under Contributions. My connection is too slow for me to get them on the web in a timely basis.

Bridetobe, I just checked with the activities desk at the Marriott (Adventure Center). They have a clear kayak that you and fiance could paddle together along the shore. They also do a night kayak tour with a guide. That way you can see some of what's under the water without having to swim!

On Wed afternoon for Happy Hour (before you go to Paradise Point!), they have an amazing guitarist (Kenny Lloyd is his name, I think) at Mojo's in Havensight. He's a lot of fun. Don't miss out on Mojo's bbq chicken!

Also on Wed night, you should go to the Carnival show at Bolongo Beach Resort's restaurant/bar, Iggie's. Another great musician who used to play with Isaac Hayes (musician's name is Sammy Watts).

Let me see what happens other nights.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon location??

OK, I had my photoes on snapfish, so this is a test. In these photos, there's not so many is Paradise Point at sunset.

Hope this works

…snapfish.com/snapfish/…

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon location??

We like Paradise Point for a band and bar food, fun spot with a good view of the harbor. We repeated our marriage vows at the gazebo above the bar and we and our 6 friends traveling with us had a blast there. Be sure to do the surfboard shots!

An even better view at night is from a boat looking at the harbor and hills of CA, perhaps a sunset cruise?

We're visitors to STT and recently enjoyed restaurants in Red Hook, and our favorite is one I never saw anyone recommend here - Island Time. It's upstairs over Coco Blue overlooking the marina, an open-air bar with a great atmosphere and staff. If you get a yen for great pizza, a meatball parm sub, or unique nachos & cheese do stop there! Of just to have a drink and relax and look at the boats.

The Big Bambooz is a newer bar/restaurant just a few doors down (was a gas station), neat place but we didn't care much for the food. They bragged about their burger, but Coconuts downtown has them beat hands down.

Latitude 18 is a spot you should not miss, fun open-air bar across the small bay from Island Time that you can see. Great chicken dish, mashed potatoes, and meatloaf Monday make this a unique spot. Good music in the evenings. Can't remember his name but to see a Rasitmon playing country is a shock - but it was great!

We also enjoyed our time at Sapphire and Coki beaches, Coki is our favorite "couples" beach when cruise ships aren't in as it's a very small, cozy bay.

I would take the passenger ferry to St JOhn and just poke around Cruz Bay right there. Plenty of great stores, and you can even get a quality Hook bracelet from St John Jewelers - very good quality. Then have a BBQ at Uncle (name escapes me) and relax with a Carib at the Beach Bar. Nice day, and the last ferry returns to Red Hook at 11PM.

And last but not least, hit Iggie's beach bar at the Bolongo Bay resort. Great spot to relax and enjoy the music and people. Happy hour rum punches are 2 for $5 and are the best on the island (at least they tasted that good that night!)

If you had more time I'd send you to Tortola or Jost Van Dyke for a day. There is a new ferry that goes from Red Hook to Jost, fun day at the Soggy $ annd other beach bars and some snorkeling can be had there as well. You control the duration.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon location??

Connie, thanks for posting the link, but do I have to register to view them??? I couldn't get past the first photo.

Red Hook is a bit far if you're staying at Frenchman's Reef, I think, though there are some great restaurants in that area.

There's always something going on at Yacht Haven Grande which you'll pass on your way to Frenchman's Reef. They have a party every Fri nite, but there's entertainment other nights, too. I'll have to check their schedule when I go through there probably this weekend.

Paradise Point has live jazz on Sat nites and they have a special Caribbean lobster dinner for $32 w/one glass of wine. Paradise Point is trying to be "the place" now that some other popular places have closed.

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie