We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing and the weather?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
sailing and the weather?

We are scheduled for an 8 day sail to begin June 12th but the weather looks very rainy according to the extended forcast; should we consider a different plan or is the rain ongoing or does the sun break out as well? We have a daughter getting married on the beach too....Yikes! Getting pretty concerned that maybe this wasn't the best time of the year to do this.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sailing and the weather?

If you can look 2 - 3 weeks into the future you are way better than the professionals -- I am betting you will have great weather for sailing and wedding. Mid June is not usually a rainy time out of the ordinary.

Check www.weathercarib.com which most of the sailing community here uses and is locally oriented.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 15:58
California
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sailing and the weather?

Thank you....I've been checking accuweather and they have a 14 day extended weather forcast and it shows rain everyday. Thanks for the encouragement.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sailing and the weather?

Many of the National weather services extrapolate the VI weather from NWS in Puerto Rico - even though it is 40 nm away PR does get different weather because it is a much larger island and over 7,000 ft high.

Our normal forecast here is 30% POP and the rains are short and generally not widespread - if you are sailing with a knowledgeable local Captain you may well be sitting in a sunny Bay watching the rain fall somewhere else.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
810 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sailing and the weather?

When it comes to the weather on St. Thomas it should be called "Inaccuweather" since they are rarely correct. As I've said here before, I want a job where I can be correct only 50% of the time and be considered a "star" in my field! We have found weathercarib.com to be much more reliable.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sailing and the weather?

We've been going to the islands for more than 30 years and I don't think I've checked the weather forecast more than once or twice -- and then just out of curiosity. No one knows exactly what the weather will be tomorrow, much less a couple of weeks from now.

However, there is some general seasonal information that is pretty dependable.

Hurricane season officially begins June 1, but June hurricanes are more likely to form off the US coast/ Gulf of Mexico. The peak of hurricane season for the Eastern Caribbean is September.

It rains somewhere in the islands almost every day, so the weather forecast will always call for rain. If it doesn't, there's usually a drought. Most of the time the rains come up in quick showers followed by sunshine. Rainy spells do occur, however, but it's doubtful how far ahead they can be predicted with any accuracy.

I have been to the islands in summer and hardly had a drop of rain on the beach except for a downpour at night (which I love!) and I have been to the islands in winter (the "dry" season) and had a torrential downpour.

So...the weather is the weather. Flexibility and a good dose of humor can help put worries aside and make things fun no matter what the skies do.

6. Re: sailing and the weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie