We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

I have read some posts in past few months which very informing.

Still debating the pros and cons of renting. Staying at Bluebeards close to Charlotte Amailie. I remember a few posts that actually talked daily expenditures of dollars taxi vs cab.

We know that a daily rental of a car is approx $ 50.00 or more. So if I stay at Bluebeards and really only want taxis to take me to different beaches for 4 days and perhaps take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie to St John for 1 or 2 days and do taxi to some fav beaches there,I am thinking I am saving money and perhaps more relaxing time with taxis than renting a car?

Is this correct?

Love to here some feedback with all the expertise on this site.

Thanks !!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

I have two "insights" for you.They both apply to St Thomas, but I do not know if they apply anyplace else.

The firstis that if you read a lot of reviews, a few will say "we did not hire a car, but next time we will". I have never seen one that said "we hired a car, but next time we will take taxis".

The second is that people who live where they "get around" primarily by taxis/public transport, seem happier doing the same on St Thomas. People who live where you need to use a car to get anyplace at all, seem to prefer to hire a car on St Thomas

Steve.

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
530 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

If you have more than 2 in your party taxis do get prohibitive as the rates are per person. Here is a link to the taxi rates which can help with your decision: vinow.com/stthomas/…

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

Just to comment on Steve's post, don't think of relying on "public transport" here even if you're used to going that route at home. Public transportation here is quite unreliable (that's putting it mildly) and the routes won't take you directly to any of the beaches. If you read the link which Sapphire provided, you'll get an idea of the rates involved and will see that taxis charge per person - those fares add up very quickly!

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

Bluebeards is at the bottom of a giant hill plus they do not have a taxi stand like the other resorts. You will have to wait a while for a cab and then your cost will be higher. I used to work at bluebeards and I highly recommend you rent a car. Between sight seeing, food shopping and dinner you will be happier and save money.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

Having lived here for years I would say there should be no debate between renting a car and taking taxis, rent a car! Taxis are hard to get, charge by the person, will often pick up other groups while they are driving you and take them to another spot first and then find reasons to try and charge you extra (they like to charge for baggage). You will see and do much more if you have a car, every little trip won't cost you an arm and a leg. Also getting a taxi back from many beaches would be next to impossible (especially the nice beaches that you would want to go to).

In short, rent a car

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

This question is like so many -- it all depends. In this case it depends on what you can, and are willing to, afford and what you feel most comfortable doing. Taxis are expensive primarily because they charge per person. If you're a large group, you can quickly spend a small fortune. If you're one or two people, not so much.

One side: We always use taxis and in 30+ years have never rented a car on St. Thomas. We've never had a problem getting a taxi. The drivers need the $$ as this is, in many cases, their only source of income and they have to try to make enough during the high season to get through the rest of the year.

Another: That being said, the prices can sometimes be ridiculous. Last summer, for example, a group of us --9 people -- went out to dinner (a 15 min. drive) and the taxi fare was almost $150. If the taxis charged per ride, instead of per person, lots more folks would take the cab.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

KZ

We just came back yesterday. We rented a car for many reasons but in talking to people on the beach several mentioned having some difficulty getting a taxi or waiting a long time to get one

This has not been a problem in the past and I don't know why it is happening now but it came up more than a few times

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

Rent a car!

Alexandria VA
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

I'm going to ST for two weeks this December. It's about $650 including taxes for two weeks, even for a compact car! I will be spending most of my time diving or on the beach. The fare from the airport to the Marriott is listed at $10. I figure I can get around for less than $50 per day for the car. Also, I've had two fender benders with rental cars in recent years (one my fault, the other not) and I'm leary of having another problem. The last time, Budget claimed damage was done to the OTHER side of the car as well (I scraped the side of a truck while backing up to let another car pass). Fortunately, my trip insurance covered the deductible. I'd also rather not worry about parking the car on a beach and having it broken into.

maryland
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost saving vs relaxation !! Taxi or rental !!

did you try discountvi.com? We just got a quote for 3 days for 88... I would think that weekly would only be about 120...