We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

Hicksville, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

I've found the prices to be better for both Budget and Avis but Budget has been getting a lot of bad press on here? What about Avis?............Sure, I'd like to save some money but if the service stinks or i have to wait in line for 2 hours, forget it! Any good advice???

Grand Isle, VT
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

Personal experience with Budget especially during high season is negative. Because they have to book through the national system which assumes that model shortages can be covered easily by other nearby agencies, there is a chance you will not get the vehicle you reserved.

On the other hand I have heard nothing but good things about Amalie Car Rental.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

I have used Avis every year and find they consistently have good prices, cars are as expected.

Now the bad part, I literally run off the plane to be among the first in line at the Avis desk and it usually makes little difference. I can count on being there for 45 minutes bare minimum.

I have heard more positive experiences with Dependable or Amalie, but frankly I cannot justify the extra 100 dollars those firms charge for the same car.

There is good and bad stories about Budget. I have never rented from them, but there is always a line there as well.

Remember your on island time.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

Never had a problem with Avis, I use them because they are in the terminal and works best for returning the car for an early morning departure. If you use Dependable or Amalie you have to pickup/return car off airport and that just takes precious minutes when you have an early morning departure especially in high season.

Mike in Tulsa

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

We ALWAYS use Amalie. The drop off at the airport literally takes 2 minutes. You pull up to the departure area and the owners are there waiting for you. As you are unloading your car they take a quick check of things over and you are done.

I personally like renting from a local, family owned business versus the large chain companies. never have I heard a negative comment about Amalie.

jersey
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

Just wondering, can you take a rental car from Avis over to St John?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

No problem with Avis going to St John.

Good to know return is quick and easy with Amalie.

Mike in Tulsa

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

We've always rented from Budget - both high and low season and personally, never had a problem. Yes, the lines are long, if you get the wrong desk clerk they can be cranky and yes, they run out of cars. We've stood in one long line, never had a cranky desk clerk and only had to wait (about an hour) for a car, once. Ironically, all in the same trip, in July. Budget pretty much always has the best price - and as long as they do, I'll continue to rent from them.

If the mood of your trip will depend on whether or not there's a smiling, happy person waiting for you when you deboard your plane - don't rent from anyone at the airport. Call someone local. But if you just need something inexpensive to get you around the islands - the airport rentals tend to run the least expensive.

As far as I know, Hertz is the only location that will not allow their vehicles to go accross to St. John. But it's always a good idea to check your rental agreement just to be sure.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

I have rented from Avis for the past 4 years (Nov / early Dec. time frames) and have never had a problem. For the past 2 years, we have stayed on St John, so no problem bringing the car over. And, agree about "running" to the Avis desk..... I have managed to be first in line the past 2 years and it literally only took about 10 minutes max before I had the keys in hand..... and better yet my wife and I divide and conquer - she waits for the luggage while I am at Avis, and we have literally been on our way 15 minutes after landing. Agree I have also seen what it is like if there is a line ...... ususally only one or two woman working behind the Avis counter.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

I would highly recommend Avis. They were great, nice car (smaller is better here), Got a rate of $331 for 8 days, including taxes. More than worth it.

Rotterdam Junction...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

did you have a discount code?

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie