We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July weather in St. Thomas

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
July weather in St. Thomas

We are planning a trip to St. thomas for end of July. I know there is a threat of hurricanes, but that aside, what is the weather like there during this time? Thanks for any help!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

The weather really doesn't change very much and if you are a tourist you wont know the difference between seasons. If you lived there year round you are more attuned to the subtle changes.

July is a great time of year to be down there.

chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

Thanks much!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

The biggest difference between summer and winter in the VI for me is I rarely use A/C in the winter months. In the summer I will frequently use it at night but avoid it in the day lest I become prisoner.

If my memory is working properly I believe hurricanes have formed in almost every month but January. July is within the official season but as the rhyme goes July is a lie.

I was on island for a couple weeks last July and it was warmer than the winter months but nothing much over high 90's. We had clear skies and gentle winds with the occasional fast passing shower. Fun fact - there's never been a temperature above 99 recorded in the VI and much of the US can not make the same claim.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

I largely agree with Jet_Lag_Tom.

My only disagreement is that according to NOAA , both the "Atlantic Hurricane Season" and the "Carri bean Hurricane season" begin June first end end November thirtieth

In reality, for whatever reasons, almost all hurricanes that visit St. Thomas visit between the last week in August and the first week in November. I don't know if this is currently true , but when we first started visiting StT, the VI celebrated TWO Thanksgiving holidays. One was the traditional American Holiday. The other was to celebrate the end of the hurricane season. It occurred sometime during the the first week in November, and I believe that, the exact date was set each year by the Governor.

I also agree that July tends to be a bit hot. You might want to stay on the "summer beach"..

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

Hurricane Supplication Day is recognized on the 4th Monday in July and is set aside as a day of prayer to spare us from hurricanes. Hurricane Thanksgiving Day is recognized on the 3rd Monday in October which is set aside as a day of prayer to give thanks for being saved from hurricanes or (in the event of any) to have weathered them.

July is a lovely month to come to the islands. Too early for any major worries about hurricanes or tropical waves, and less people than in the busier seasonal months!

PS: Both hurricane Supplication Day and Hurricane Thanksgiving Day are recognized local holidays. Most businesses stay open but government workers have the day off.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 23:39
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

Thank you for the update.

When there was a second Thanksgiving, it was so called and the stores and businesses did close, but otherwise it was exactly the holiday you describe. At that time there were a total of about thirty holidays in the VI . StT was far "less developed", and the residents would look for any excuse not to work. To that end they even regularly arranged electric blackouts in the early afternoon almost every Friday! Yes, I am being nostalgic. on this.

BTW, we are planning to spend two weeks on island this July.

Steve

7. Re: July weather in St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:39