We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for the day

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
404 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for the day

We will be in Charlotte Amalie for the day and would like to make the most of our time.

We are interested in visiting St. Thomas Synagogue, Fort Christian as well as Blackbeard's Castle. We would like to get a good vibe of the place and if there's time wouldn't mind some retail therapy & a short beach stop before returning to the cruise ship.

Am I being too ambitious with my wishlist and how would it be best to spend our day. We were wondering how to get around - I read about the Vitran buses but not sure if they will help us get around.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for the day

Unfortunately, Ft Christian has been closed for several years now, but the other things are easily doable, because most of the taxi drivers offer those activities in their island tours.

Several taxi drivers are often recommended on cruisecritic:

Papa Bear of Air Force One (http://www.havefunwithus.net)

Sunny Liston (I think it's http://www.sunnyliston.com)

Henry of EEE Tours (google for the website)

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for the day

It's too bad that Fort Christian is closed because when we saw it (long ago) it was quite interesting.

On the other hand it took a couple of hours, so with that off your list, the rest of your plans become much more doable. I believe, however, that here is no way that you can "get a good vibe of the place" in just one day. My opinion is that it takes about a week to begin to get acquanted.

The St. Thomas Synagogue is very interesting and worthwhile visiting because (as you probably know) it is Sephardic, and has several unusual features. It is small, and unless you "delve deeply" will not take too much time to see.

My recommendation is that you sacrifice some recreational shopping spend a bit more time on a beach.

Enjoy your day, I am sure that it will be interesting.

Steve

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for the day

I second taking one of the tours which Ms411 mentioned as it's priceless to have the running commentary from the driver so you know what you're looking at. You'll see what you're interested in and much more, plus get in some beach time. Enjoy a great day and hopefully it'll inspire you to come back and spend some more time with us and get to know our island even better!

4. Re: Planning for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2013, 10:35