We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

Epping, NH
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

My husband and I have visited St Thomas via cruise ship at least 3 times now. Our first time we did a tour to Megan's bay, and the last two times we walked around Havensight, shopped, and took to the lift to paradise point. Are we missing something on this island? is there a downtown area somewhere? We are going back in march and wondering if there is some other part of the island we should be seeing.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

The town shopping area is directly across from the waterfront. You can walk there (it's a long walk but pleasant walk on flat ground) from Havensight. Just take a left out of the Havensight Mall and follow the waterfront road. Or you can take a taxi for $4 per person.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

The town shoping area is quaint. There are alleys between the old storage warehouses that now host shops and restaurants. There are some historic sites and the fort. The stores are often the same ones at Havensight but the setting is different.

Brooklyn, New York
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

Yacht Haven is adjacent to Havensight. If you decide to walk to main street it will be on your left hand side along the waterfront. You can't miss it! Yacht Haven is fairly new and it offers a number of moderate and high end luxury shops such as: Gucci and Louis Vuitton just to mention a few and a few good restaraunts. Even if you don't plan on shopping, just walking though yacht haven will give you a nice view of million dollar yachts!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

Good information on the downtown area. I would add that it depends what cruise lines you are traveling on, whether you will be at Havensight, or docked at Crown Bay Marina (Holland, Princess and I believe the Queen Mary 2).

We always visited the downtown area for the reasons listed in the posts above. It's always a fun day!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

There are many stores in town that aren't in Havensight, and they aren't jewelry stores!

Cariloha in the Grand Hotel with bamboo sheets, towels and clothing.

Del Sol in Grand Hotel with sun activated clothing.

Print Gallery in Riise's alley with reproductions from earlier times.

Fresh Produce in Riise's alley selling women's tropical clothing.

Caribongo in Hibiscus alley with sun activated clothing cheaper than Del Sol.

Belgian Chocolate Factory in Hibiscus alley selling chocolates and ice cream.

Lalique in Drake's Passage selling Israeli bath products.

There's also someone selling prints and another clothing boutique with tropical clothes.

Royal Dane Mall Laska Bead store and maybe a few others Luke Bambini Art Gallery. Lots of turnover in Royal Dane so hard to keep up!

SOS Antiques has been around for years and you never know what you might find in that store! I think they even sell small canons!

Palm Passage is my favorite shopping "alley" because it's so beautiful and serene with an art gallery, a hand painted store, and other stores selling unique items.

There are also several Caribbean restaurants in town - Jamaican (Trenchtown Rock), Virgin Islands (Cuzzin's), Trinidad (Sugarcane Grille) and Spanish Caribbean (Charlene).

In town there are also historical museums and walking tours. Havensight, imo, is a souvenir shopping destination.

6. Re: Is shopping area where you get off the cruise ship downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie